General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 10:10:51
Print Post

TB Meter showing constant download

[link to this post]

Hi there, Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, however, I will go ahead. I have been using TB Meter for a long time on various computers. This last few days it has been showing a constant download of approx 0.5m.

What I would like to know is how do I find out which site this is from please. I am fairly techy but cannot seem to find out how to see where this constant connection is coming from and I find it a bit worrying.

Thanks for any replies.

Joy
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-11 10:17:29
Print Post

Re: TB Meter showing constant download

[re: joypmarsh] [link to this post]

open a command prompt window, type in netstat -a and this will display all open connecttions

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-11 14:48:13
Print Post

Go into TBB meter, then under Menu, select Test Tools.

From the list, select, "Record TCP data log for 30 seconds" that will record which application is using the data - it is stored in a CSV file on your hard disc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 17:24:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

HI there, thanks for the reply. That report shows only one ip address in the listing which is 63.245.193.66 which when I checked appears to be unknown. The Thinkbroadband CSV report also says it is unknown.

Should I be doing something about this. I am not happy that there is constant downloading going on although I suppose I should be more worried if it was uploading.

Can anyone give me any reassurance on all this please.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-11 17:45:58
Print Post

Know anybody in Witchita? http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/63.245.193.66

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:05:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks but, I too looked up the address but it gives no indication of who or what might be downloading to my pc for what reason either.

The only thing which has changed recently is related to Big Fish Games who appear to be in Seatle, Vancouver and Ireland.

I am at a loss as to what is going on and whether I should be worrying about it.

As I said before any reassurance or help would be appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:19:37
Print Post

You could try scanning your PC with Stinger as a quick check to see if it's infected http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to...

Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:23:54
Print Post

Thanks, I will give that a go but I have McAfee Antivirus running and it does a scan every night overnight and has not come up with anything but I will run Stinger and see if it gives me any feedback.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:04
Print Post

Probably a waste fo time in that case

Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:51:31
Print Post

Does anyone have any other ideas or advice please.

Thanks.
Standard User Black
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 19:29:10
Print Post

a trace says
Symantec -Norton - Data -Services (net - 63-245-192 0 - 1) 63.245.192.0 - 63.245.207.255
Norton spies.
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 21:42:37
Print Post

[re: Black] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. So what should I do if anything please?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 25-Sep-11 22:39:08
Print Post

tongue
It gave the Norton info in the first link BatBoy gave you, where he asked about "wichita".

Do you have Norton, or was it perhaps pre-installed on your computer when you bought it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-11 22:54:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It could well be te Norton Backup service nobu.backup.com

M H C

Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 08:44:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to both of the last posters. I have never had Norton Security on this PC. I have McAfee (I would prefer AVG) which came free for 15 months with the computer from Dell. The computer was new last January. This activity has only started within the last few days.

I have even done a search for "norton" and "nobu" which produced no result.

The download is still showing in the meter.

I have looked through everything I can find on the McAfee programme and cannot see anywhere that I can type in an IP address to block it. I don't know if it helps but this is the info recorded by the TCP Data Log and it seems to remain the same every time. There are a few other things showing but they are related to the IP address for my router.

Date 26/09/2011
Time 08.12.33
Ticks 6.35E_17
Down (Bytes) 0
Up (Bytes) 0
Local IP 0.0.0.0
Local Port 51680
Remote IP 63.245.193.67
Report Port 443
PiD 1648
Process Name Unknown

It looks like no info is going out or coming in. This is getting a bit long but I am now really really curious about the whole thing.

I am grateful for the input from people trying to help.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:19:04
Print Post

Is this computer your only equipment connected to the router? Including games consoles, phones, network discs etc.? Have you loaded or upgraded any software, other than normal Windows updates?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 26-Sep-11 11:21:15)

Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:20:46
Print Post

HI there, Yes the pc is not actually connected by cable, I use wireless. There is a SKY HD Box on the telephone line together with a telephone but nothing else.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:22:46
Print Post

Sorry - I did an edit as well, please have a look smile.

Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:23:01
Print Post

Had an additional thought. If I use my laptop, again wireless, the TB meter does not show this sort of traffic at all.
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:36:15
Print Post

Nothing abnorma. McAfee did and update, and I have downloaded BIg Fish Games but I do that all the time and never have a problem with them.

Apart from that nothing except the normal auto updates for McAfee and Windows and Windows last update was some days ago.

When it started I looked at what I had been doing to see if there was anything that might had caused it but could not find that I had done anything abnormal that I had not done a thousand times before.

Very frustrating.

I have the laptop running which is showing no traffic at all and am just awaiting the result of the TCP info on that but the last time I did it it showed as nothing in the list at all. This time it simply shows iexplore but nothing for the IP address showing on the desttop.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-11 12:01:29
Print Post

I am confused.

tbbmeter will only show traffic on a particular computer. What mode are you running the meter in, I presume All internet Traffic (TCP/UDP).

if the graph is showing download/upload activity for TCP traffic , the grab TCP log should show it, or you can view this dynamically via the Statistics | Alarms and View Sites visited window.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 12:28:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron, I was only mentioning the laptop because of a possible router problem. I had been asked what was connected too the router so thought any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks for the input.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 26-Sep-11 13:09:36
Print Post

Hello,

If you open a dos prompt again and do a netstat, but this time instead of netstat /a, type netstat /b

It will tell you what service or program is actually transmitting the data to the ip address. If you dont recognise that program, google it's name to find out what it is.
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 16:17:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

HI there, Okay did this but it says "cannot obtain user information" or something like that. Also none of the IP addresses are 63.245.193.66 but I assume they just show differently in that type of window as the meter was showing the downloading at the time.

It is strange that when I actually do something, like now, which is connected to the Internet the downloading stops sometimes and then starts again.

Edited by joypmarsh (Mon 26-Sep-11 16:31:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-11 16:38:23
Print Post

If you open the CSV our Record TCP data for 30 seconds created, this lists the Process Identifier (PiD) so you can kill a process using Task Manager if you wish, and the name of the exe involved.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User joypmarsh
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 17:04:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

SORTED. Thanks to the last Poster, Mr Saffron, I was able to go into Task Manager and identify the process. It was in fact Dell Datasafe Online which I subscribe to for backups and which, as far as I knew, only came into operation once a week to do a backup.

Wow, at least I now know it is not dangerous. Thank heavens.

Also part of the name was indeed NoBu which is what someone else suggested.

I am so grateful to all of you here who give your time to people like to help us out and make our lives easier.

Thanks again.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 26-Sep-11 22:39:24
Print Post

I tried to access 63.245.193.67 and I had a certificate warning - only valid for nobu.backup.com ... and nobu rang a bell as being "good"

I then went to nobu.backup.com and it comes back wit the login page for Norton Online Backup

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to