General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bill_Q
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 16:44:34
Print Post

tbb meter not connecting...

[link to this post]

I was having a problem with tbb meter in that it was not actually showing the speed rate display when using test d/loads but was, indeed, downloading as shown by the result at the end of the test (~2500kbps). So I uninstalled/reinstalled it and as this has fixed the problem previously. This time, however, when trying to download test files, nothing happens and after 20 seconds or so up pops a box advising "Unable to connect to the remote server". The odd thing is that the tbb display will still show activity from other internet access, but refuses to work in "test" mode. Any ideas, anyone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-11 09:22:53
Print Post

Re: tbb meter not connecting...

[re: Bill_Q] [link to this post]

The meter and test modes are two different things.

Sounds like your AV or firewall software may be blocking the applications access to the internet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 06-Oct-11 11:48:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response Mr. S, but after turning off ZoneAlarm Ext. Security, MalwareBytes, Vista Firewall and Defender, i.e. everything to do with malware, I still have the problem.
Any other ideas? I can live without tbb, but it's annoying not knowing where the problem lies.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-11 12:03:43
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

There is a log file tbbmeter.log should be listing errors in there if not able to reach the internet.

With so many firewall applications it is entirely feasible you have weird interactions going on, and thus very hard to diagnose. e.g. zonealarm can have a habit of blocking internet access to an app even after ZA is closed.

The test file downloads are simple get a file via HTTP from our servers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to