General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User conrad1on
(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-11 18:37:42
Print Post

tbbMeter Not Counting Data Downloaded via File Manager

[link to this post]

tbbMeter version: 0.9.8.5

I'm using a file manager program called Mipony, however anything I download using it appears not to register on tbbMeter.

Downloading files by other methods - such as through a browser - seems to be recognised properly, but everything I download using Mipony bypasses tbbMeter altogether.

I'd appreciate any thoughts here, as I download most stuff using Mipony now, but if most of my traffic is going unnoticed, it renders having a broadband monitor rather pointless.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Oct-11 10:46:50
Print Post

Re: tbbMeter Not Counting Data Downloaded via File Manager

[re: conrad1on] [link to this post]

If Mipong is not opening any new TCP sockets and it runs before tbbmeter it is possible for this to happen. Tried restarting the Mipony process.

As the technique for splitting wan/lan traffic is based on packet sniffing it is feasible that MiPony may be coded in such a way to stop this happening.

You can switch the packet filter off by disabling TCP/UDP traffic and then just measuring the data across the network interface.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User conrad1on
(newbie) Mon 10-Oct-11 10:58:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think that may be it actually. I did have to restart Mipony for some reason yesterday, and tbbMeter seems to be picking up on its activity ever since. Thanks for the reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User conrad1on
(newbie) Mon 17-Oct-11 22:13:43
Print Post

Well, it does indeed appear that some programs that load before tbbMeter starts up will not have any of their network activity recognised.

A follow-up question then; is there any way to ensure tbbMeter starts first? I suspect this may be tricky, as tbbMeter runs as a service, and most of my programs which run at startup that access the Internet do not.

Failing that, are there any plans for a future version of tbbMeter to work around this issue? I quite like how it works generally, and I'd hate to have to consider looking for an alternative for the sake of a problem which is, essentially, just a bit of a nuisance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 01:52:42
Print Post

Only if those programs re-use the same TCP session all the time.

There may be a fix I can apply, but am busy working on normal job and other stuff too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 01-Nov-11 18:39:27
Print Post

Hi,
I used to use an utility on XP called Startupguru which allowed you to order the sequence of startups and build in a delay if you wished on individual items. I needed this because I was getting collisions between different apps starting up at the same time. I presume it is still around and will probably work on Vista or 7. Try a search if interested and I would assume there are other similar pieces of software around.

I believe you can do this yourself but I do not know how.

Good luck
Standard User conrad1on
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 19:19:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll have a look.
Standard User conrad1on
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 19:20:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Fair enough.

It's not a massive hardship to have to remember to close and relaunch a few programs after rebooting, but it's just something I'd rather not have to think about.
  Print Thread

Jump to