General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Nov-11 18:49:42
Print Post

Is it inaccurate??

[link to this post]

Hi,
i am using tbb version 0.9.8.5 on two computers because i had a letter of excess usage from talk talk and i wanted to check that what they were saying was right.
But since i have been using this (over a month) it has never said the same usage as the talktalk monitor. currently tt has me using twice as much as tbb says.
So i am curious to which monitor is inaccurate.
Anyone else have the same problem??

Lee...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Nov-11 23:15:41
Print Post

Re: Is it inaccurate??

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You can check the accurracy by noting the figures in the various counters, and then downloading something of a known size, e.g. the 20MB test file linked to in the apps own menus.

Remember you have to add the data from the two computers together, and if you have a smartphone using wifi, or games console that usage is not counted

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-Nov-11 15:05:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Well last night i downloaded 1.6gb on one computer and the meter is saying 355mb,didnt turn the other pc on or use phones etc, just changed my wifi password, no other devices connected.

So it seems inaccurate, what could be the cause??

Confused????

Lee...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Nov-11 15:45:43
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

WIthout knowing what you downloaded and what app was used hard to say.

e.g. some applications use compression which can make 1.6GB actually be 355MB of data transfer across the link.

Hence suggestion to try maybe a 20 MB or 100 MB test file as in the tbbmeter menus. If the meter is a factor of three times out (and under reading) it should be noticeable with those test files.

Are you using Kaspersky Anti Virus, as some versions have created double readings, and the solution worked for that version, but on some systems gave a half sized reading. You can get around this, by Disable TCP/UDP monitoring in the Types of Traffic to Monitor menu item.

There is a download 5MB and record TCP Data Log for that download option, which creates a CSV which can then be used to verify the data calculations.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Wed 16-Nov-11 11:41:05
Print Post

Hi Anonymous,

can you confirm which monitor gave the inacurate reading? Was this the Tbb monitor as the TalkTalk Usage Metre can take around 48 hours to update wiht usage figures so if you donwloaded the 1.6 then checked the TT usage meter this might not have been updated to reflect the usage in the last 48 hours.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 11:42:23
Print Post

[re: TALKTALK_SUPPORT] [link to this post]

Where in the user account area is the TalkTalk usage monitor?

ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Thu 17-Nov-11 15:01:50
Print Post

Hi Mr Saffron,

The Usage Monitor is in "My Account" (the online billing system).

As its tied to the billing account it appears in Phone & Broadband section of My Account once customers are signed in.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to