General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 16:37:31
Print Post

tbbMeter Recognizing Internet After Two Days

[link to this post]

Hello,

I installed tbbMeter on a WinXP SP3 machine and it worked fine for two days. I sometimes disable/enable the USB connected wireless modem using the Network Connections function and tbbMeter had shown no traffic when the connection was disabled, then traffic again when re-enabled. However today it shows no traffic even though the connection has been enabled and several megabytes have been downloaded via a browser.

I have reset the machine however tbbMeter always reports 0 usage for the day and zero on the traveling graph. I would appreciate any advice on how to get it operating correctly again.

Thank you.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jan-12 16:40:20
Print Post

Re: tbbMeter Recognizing Internet After Two Days

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

PS The title should have been "tbbMeter *Stopped* Recognizing Internet Traffic After Two Days". I cannot find a message edit or delete function.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jan-12 17:24:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I cannot find a message edit or delete function.
You get that if you register. Edit or delete for up to 12 hours.

Also no Captcha needed when posting, no in-forum adverts, more forums available, and the facility to tailor the layout defaults.

I recommend it smile. They don't spam you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-12 19:04:07
Print Post

Under types of traffic to display, which is selected?

If its All Internet Traffic, switch to Disable TCP/UDP monitoring, and wait a minute and then switch back to All Internet Traffic does that work?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jan-12 22:44:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It was set to "All Internet Traffic". I switched to Disable TCP/UDP monitoring, waited more than a minute, however then the "Type of Traffic to Display" hover menu stopped working, so too did the Statistics/Alarms menu.

I closed the program, restarted the program, only one "Type of Traffic to Display" menu option was available, so I selected this (something like enable UDP monitoring)., however after this the "Type of Traffic to Display" however menu stopped working as before and no options were presented.

I closed/restarted the program, and now only a small grey box would appear for the program, no meter at all.

I closed/restarted the program, and now not even the box will appear.

Very strange indeed.

I would imagine that the next option is to uninstall and then re-install the program.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jan-12 22:56:32
Print Post

Many people think that, but reality is that you want to close the app and just delete the program files(x86)\thinkbroadband.com\options.xml file

This will reset the various options.

The Enable TCP/UDP monitoring menu, meant that the application had reverted to not packet sniffing but looking at data from your network cards, which you can manually override via the Network Connections... menu

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Jan-12 10:01:00
Print Post

Why is it necessary to delete program files(x86)\thinkbroadband.com\options.xml in order to re-access the "Type of Traffic to Display" menu ?

I opened the "Network Connections" menu however I do not see a manual override option ("Leave me in full control of [Connection] selection" ?).

The computer later rebooted due to an automatic Windows update, and after this the "Type of Traffic to Display" menu re-appeared. Selecting "Disable TCP/UDP monitoring" as before again causes the "Type of Traffic to Display" menu to disappear.

The meter is now operating again however the Stats show 0kb upload and download for the day.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jan-12 20:48:55
Print Post

Options.xml is a file that stores the various GUI options you have elected, and thus by deleting you revert back to what the defaults are in the software.

Leave me in full control is the manual option.

When using the Network connection there is no ability to select type of traffic to display.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 13-Jan-12 10:15:45
Print Post

If when using the Network connection there is no ability to select type of traffic to display, how is the "type of Traffic to Display" menu restored, apart from deleting program files(x86)\thinkbroadband.com\options.xml ?

What options are necessary in order to restore the operation of the upload and download stats ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jan-12 19:44:39
Print Post

The types of traffic to display menu is not totally disabled, but has a single option:

Enable TCP/UDP monitoring and after selecting this, the menu will subsequently update to show the other options again.

Upload and download collection of stats should work in any of the modes. When the TCP/UDP monitoring is disabled, then the software attempts to spot which network interface has traffic on it and monitor this, if you have selected 'leave me in control' then you need to figure out which interface the traffic is coming across.

Print Thread

Jump to