General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BroadWHAT
(newbie) Mon 16-Jan-12 13:38:34
Print Post

tbbMeter showing only half quota used, ISP says used up!?

[link to this post]

Hi all!

Been using the tbbMeter for a while now. Set it up to 'shout' when my 15GB mobile broadband quota was running low, then the other day I get a text from Three to say that I had used my quota and the next lot starts on the 20th. Four days away, so pay per MB till then! But the tbbMeter is showing only 7.6GB used of my 15GB allowance! I'm a little confused here!
Can any one tell me if perhaps there is a delay with the tbbMeter?

It's installed on my machine only and (I'm guessing) will only be detecting my up or downloads! Or, at least, only those up and downloads through my dongle that this machine does! Three says it can't supply a detailed 'statement of usage' until the 21st (day after I re-start my quota).

Or can a dongle be 'piggy-backed'? Is that another thread for another forum? Er, opps!

Many regards,

Broad WHAT

FYI - 15GB per month contract with Three, originally used as an 'emergency internet' when at my non-internet connected muthers for a weekend, until I moved and couldn't get fibre broadband, so using as 'normal' internet connection for now till longer stopping move soon! {:oD

I know computers can make me cleverrer, but what about my interlecked, a?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Jan-12 13:55:48
Print Post

Re: tbbMeter showing only half quota used, ISP says used up!

[re: BroadWHAT] [link to this post]

A lot depends on how you've set the quota up.

I would recommend in your case looking at the Full Stats window in tbbmeter and totting up the date from Dec 20th to Jan 20th. Also look at whether the upload is part of the quota that Three count.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Jan-12 14:54:32
Print Post

What Internet Security do you use?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilStratford
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 19:43:49
Print Post

Hi Broad What,
I don't have any answers but I have the same problem and would be interested in any answers that others might have.
Our ISP is BT who report our broadband usage daily. We have two computers which both have tbbmeter running and the results are summarised on the tbbmeterstats section of the tbbmeter website.
Just about every day, BT states that we have used more broadband band width (up and down) than tbbmeter reports.
I have checked the results on the tbbmeter website against the full stats reported by tbbmeter on each computer and they match well.
The computers connect to the internet via a BT Home Hub router - I do not know if the router itself might be using some band width.
Aside from that, we have some internet radios and suchlike, but have kept them all turned off while we are trying to figure out what is going on.
Regards, Phil.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jan-12 20:40:43
Print Post

[re: PhilStratford] [link to this post]

To verify the meters readings, take a note of the usage figures, and then start a 20MB file download using its own test tools, and see whether the numbers have all gone up by the required 20MB

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 12:19:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron
I ran 20MB tests on both computers. In each case, the tbbmeter full stats went up by 21 MB. So it would certainly seem that tbbmeter is not under-reading.
It would seem there are three possibilities:-
a) Someone else is using our band width (not likely with WEP security?).
b) The BT Home Hub is using some band width - I've tried searching for info on this but not found any.
c) BT are measuring incorrectly.
Any other ideas?
Thanks, Phil.
PS: Our antivirus/fire wall is Norton Internet Security, not Kaspersky.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Jan-12 12:32:13
Print Post

If it is a quiet day on the PC is the BT usage figure lower, ie. is the difference always a proportion?

Have you double checked that its not just download + upload they are displaying?

Leave HH on, but have a day with the computers turned off. No other devices connected to the router I presume? e.g. children with wifi on their phone?

A few MB per day e.g. 5 to 10 difference is to be expected, e.g. ping noise, but if you are managing 1GB and BT report 2GB then something is odd.

There have been cases of downloads starting on a PC before tbbmeter runs, and we don't count those. Often Windows Update, but those are usually relatively small, and the pop-ups from Windows Update will give some indication of size.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jan-12 14:55:19
Print Post

WEP security is cracked with seconds if someone does want to try. You should be able to see the connected devices from the router GUI somewhere.

WPA2 is best, but you may have some kit that can't use that. If you do change to it, then also change your wireless security key. No point if that has already been obtained.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 15:09:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again.
I only have detailed stats for a week at this point and will keep collecting them until I have a more accurate picture. The difference between tbbmeter and what BT says looks proportional-ish but I'll know better with more data.
I believe BT are quoting download + upload but will try to double-check.
We'll try leaving both computers off as soon as we get a day where no usage is needed. There are no other devices connected.
On some days the difference is only 10 to 20 MB, but sometimes it is greater. Just before we started collecting data it jumped by about 3GB in 1 day (on which usage had been low). Again, I'll collect more stats and try to get a better view.
Cheers, Phil
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 15:10:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto - I'll check the device and see if it can handle WPA2 plus check what's connected.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to