General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AngloMario
(newbie) Fri 27-Jan-12 17:31:16
Print Post

Virgin speed in tbb and other speed sites

[link to this post]

I have just upgraded from Virgin's 10Mbps to 20 Mbps service. When I was on 10Mbps thinkbroadband's speed results were nearly always 8 or 9 Mbps. Now I have , in theory, twice the speed tbb speed is showing usually as 4, 5, 8 or 9 Mbps. So far, 3 times it has reached 16Mbps in the last 8 days.

I have raised this underachievement with Virgin. Today a knowledgable guy connected to my PC, saw it was 8 in tbb then showed me Virgin's service was OK by using 3 other speed testing sites which actually showed 18 Mbps or higher.

My Virgin hub is in the same place, my PC is in the same place, my connection is still wireless but tbb is showing speeds that seem to be actually worse than when I was on the 10Mbps service. Has anybody any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jan-12 19:52:46
Print Post

Re: Virgin speed in tbb and other speed sites

[re: AngloMario] [link to this post]

The other testers may use a different route out of Virgin Media, we have in the past proved that some routes out of the provider are congested at times.

I am willing to bet the 3 other sites actually used the same test engine.

20 Mbps if using 802.11g is pushing the limits of the technology by the way.

The tbbmeter tool at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html can graph your connection, and it is possible this will reveal more information, i.e. speeds may be up and down a lot, rather than nice and consistent.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AngloMario
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 00:38:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.

One of the sites was SPEEDTEST.NET. I have been back to that site and I consistently obtain, according to them, 19.58Mbps down and 1.93 up. Each time I try this site spread over 12 hours it comes out at 19+ and 1.9+. Another of the sites was reached from the USWITCH web site and came out similar to Speedtest. Perhaps, as you suggest, they use the same base programs.

Perhaps I should have said that Virgin took away the old Netgear modem and router and replaced them with a Virgin Super Hub and netgear WNDA3200 Wireless 11N Dual Band USB. I guess that that means it is 802.11n and that this is an improvement on 802.11g so possibly that in turn means I should be able to get closer to 20 Mbps. The best I have done according to my tbb results is 18.3 down but a consistent 1.940 to 1.955 up. Because the so called 20Mbps was a new service for me I have been looking and testing using your testing tool several times a day the latest one is visible at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1... It was done after midnight and shows a speed of 5.4 but a test using Speedtest a few minutes ago showed 19.5

Do I just have to accept that Virgin is providing me with a 20 Mbps service or is there something I can do to get them to look again? When tbb says it is slow it is definitely slow on my PC but Virgin say everything is OK their end.

This is confusing to me as tbb results at Virgin's 10 Mbps service were nearly always consistent but with a few very low results at what I thought were peak times.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Jan-12 00:41:11
Print Post

"slow it is definitely slow on my PC but Virgin say everything is OK their end"

Are you saying that when our speedtest is slow, that other downloads and webpages appear slower than normal? In which case our tester is configured to reflect this more so than the speedtest.net systems.

Speedtest.net is great for showing your connection speed, we are better for showing your sustained download speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AngloMario
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 01:17:52
Print Post

I am only saying that when I take the tbb test; I notice that the results are slow or fast as they are loaded in to the screen. I do not flip over to look at my mail or visit other internet sites while the test is running.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Jan-12 01:33:25
Print Post

Which raises the question, is everything but our speedtest slow? Or are some sites slow and some fast?

Standard User AngloMario
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 01:51:53
Print Post

"Which raises the question, is everything but our speedtest slow? Or are some sites slow and some fast?"

I don't know the answer to that. I only realy notice very slow responses if they are consecutive. Just one slow response I would not notice. So far I have not noticed any very fast responses - perhaps because the response is in a normal for me range of 8 to 10 Mbps.

I guess there is nothing that I can do about the slow speeds according to tbb. I prefer to think that based on the past 4 or 5 years of using tbb that your results are correct. But I would like to reach the point where I felt that my increase from 10 Mbps to 20 Mbps was noticeable when I visited web pages and did a down load. At the moment the speed seems to be the same!
Standard User roughbeast
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 13:30:35
Print Post

I have always had issues with the tbb speed test and also their bandwidth monitoring software.

Recently I was installed as a major tester. At most speed test sites I get 104Mb/ 9Mb. The tbb monitor gave me an average of 27Mb over 50 tests. The max being 40Mb and the minimum only 6Mb. These tests took place 24/7 automatically when the PC was idle.

If the problem had been congestion on the VM line I would have expected tests to vary from one time of day to another, with occasional tests up close to my advertised speed. Sadly, they were consistently low. This indicates to me that the problem is with the tbb software and /or test servers.

The fault is not with my PC. It has Windows 7(64bit) quadcore CPUs and 8Gb RAM.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Mar-12 13:48:23
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

You have to understand that the Ookla based testers are great at showing a speed close to maximum the line will offer. Ours is good at showing the sustained load.

If you are referring to the 2012 ISPA testing, then you should be aware that if yours is the line I've looked at closely, your results are not representative of all of Virgin Media. Why? Hard to say, but we have pointed out some network issues, that we did raise two years ago with Virgin Media.

Also in 2012, we are testing across multiple networks.

We have seen the software exactly the same version as you used, produce speeds well in excess of 100 Mbps too.

It is this variability that means we use multiple testers, and spend days analysing the results at the end, to both ensure providers are not cheating, and also that end-user variability is not going to count against a provider.

Standard User roughbeast
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-12 14:40:04
Print Post

I would also hope that you ensure that providers are not cheated or misrepresented.

From what you are saying, you were perhaps having specific problems with my network. Yet I have achieved on more than one occasion combined download speeds, from sites providing large files, of virtually 12MB, very close to what I would expect on a 100M connection. The highest single file download I have achieved is from the Acronis website at 8.5MB. I don't know their server capability.

If your gear is unable to measure that potential of my line over my network, over a sustained period of time then there must be something wrong.

I take it that your testing arrangement attempts to measure line potential from the point of view of user experience eg the ability to download or stream large files smoothly and rapidly. If that is the case tbb has failed to measure my line accurately.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Thu 08-Mar-12 14:43:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to