General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-May-12 16:18:44
Print Post

Version 0.9.8.7 in Beta release

[link to this post]

Just in case it has any major problems have limited the release to the 100 or so beta testers at present.

Main changes are:

1. Fix in TCP capture file, that gave zero figures.
2. Extra error trapping in the registration window
3. New Calibrate tbbMeter option under the Test Tools menu - on upgrading the test will auto run (via popup) after 60 seconds. Calibration will measure how many bytes a known 5 MB file counts as when downloaded. This should allow the meter to cope with situations where AV/firewall software interes with data - e.g. Kaspersky AV
4. You can disable this calibration/correction in the test tools menu
5. About window shows the current correction factor.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-May-12 17:29:46
Print Post

Now released to everyone

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Have unleashed this update just now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-May-12 21:31:17
Print Post

Re: Now released to everyone

I have just updated to new version and tried to calibrate meter as asked but i get ERROR MSG
"unable to connect to the remote server"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User denbrew
(newbie) Wed 02-May-12 21:45:27
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have just updated to new version and tried to calibrate meter as asked but i get ERROR MSG
"unable to connect to the remote server"
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 09:15:04
Print Post

[re: denbrew] [link to this post]

This is because the calibration accesses a 5MB file on our server. Suggestion is that the DNS resolution has failed. Do any of the test files under the Test Tools menu work?

Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 03-May-12 11:30:52
Print Post

OK on my Windows 7 PCs running Vista and Norton; but a disaster on the old XP machine which runs Kapersky where despite manually setting both the install files and program to "allow" (which I had to do) as Kapersky deemed them "dangerous" it is still blocking elements so the graph is unintelligible and shows a continuous yellow block or nothing at all and the kbps legend has translated into an elaborate italic. Uninstall/reinstall leaves the same situation (even now with the earlier version available on the download page). The icon though appears to be operating correctly. Kapersky: I hate 'em. Data calibration shows as "infinity", so presumably doesn't work with Kapersky?

EDITS: Bit more info: reset calibration and the graph shows correctly, but with blank upload/download. Recalibrate (which runs for 10 mins) and it goes funny again. And finally after a further couple of attempts now calibration shows speed axis as "Gbps" with an intermittent display on the graph, now I know I'm on VDSL2 but it's not that fast!

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 03-May-12 11:57:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 13:50:53
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Recalibate should take around 10 seconds as its a simple 5MB file download. Suggests you are hitting timeouts due to AV blocking internet activity from the application.

Standard User denbrew
(newbie) Thu 03-May-12 15:19:45
Print Post

No they don't
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 15:31:45
Print Post

[re: denbrew] [link to this post]

The files are working, so something is blocking them your end.

Will be coding a catch for this problem later this afternoon, and an issue for IPv6 users.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 16:47:47
Print Post

Verion 0.9.8.8

Now out to those on the beta test list.

Have added more catches of various problems to the calibration system, but need to test for a few more days to be sure all is well.

Downloads started before tbbmeter was running should now be detected when in WAN/LAN mode.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to