General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-May-12 08:50:19
Print Post

Certificate cannot be verified

[link to this post]

Since updating to Version 0.9.8.7, when I try to start tbbMeter manually I get a message from User Account Control: "An unidentified program wants access to your computer." When I checked the exe file, I found "The certificate in the signature cannot be verified".
Has something been overlooked, or is this a fault in the download? I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. ChrisP
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 10:35:59
Print Post

Re: Certificate cannot be verified

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you check the exe's Digital Signature it will be correct.

This is a bug in the way UAC works. Windows Vista and Windows 7 uses the tbbLoaderService to start tbbmeter usually, and avoids this UAC prompt.

If running it manually then it is fully expected, and the reason is so that we can detect the LAN/WAN traffic split.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 07-May-12 08:50:31
Print Post

Re: Certificate cannot be verified

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When I go to the certificate, on the General tab, it says "Windows does not have enough information to verify this certificate". On the Details tab, as far as I can tell, all the details are in order, and the certificate is in date. On the Certification Path tab, it says "The issuer of this certificate could not be found". On this tab, the normal practice seems to be to show the path from the issuer to the body issued to. On the certificate for ttbMeter, only "NetConnex Ltd" is shown. I am guessing that this is why User Account Control is coming up with this particular prompt - not the usual "A Program needs your permission to continue". Incidentally, the only reason I am starting the program manually is that when it opens at startup, I do not always get an icon in the notification area, so I can't minimise it, and then restore from this icon. I have resorted to exiting the program and starting it manually, which seems to reliably produce an icon. Sorry if I sound picky, I just like to understand these things!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to