General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oaksticks
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 12:29:52
Print Post

Kaspersky suspicious driver report

[link to this post]

My Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 has recently started to report that tbbmeter is trying to download a driver in a hidden way and reports "PDM.Suspicious driver installation". Is this usual or a danger?

oaksticks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-May-12 13:58:09
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky suspicious driver report

[re: oaksticks] [link to this post]

Its usual, and seems Kaspersky has decided the packet driver that provides the TCP/UDP splitting is something it does not like.

There is a different driver we will switch too, but it requires a seperate install currently, which is ok for dev use, but not for product roll-out. I need a good clear month to integrate it too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User roj2003
(learned) Sun 27-May-12 10:50:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I hope you can manage this new driver soon. Kaspersky has thrown out tbbmeter about 3 times, so far in the past fortnight, but now it won't even let me re-instal it from a new download. I did get it back twice but no longer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-May-12 23:04:51
Print Post

[re: roj2003] [link to this post]

Have you reported this to Kaspersky as a false positive, as I believe it is their problem not Andrew's? Though he seems prepared to provide a work-around.

There are a large number of people using tbbMeter, with a wide variety of IS systems in place. Only you are reporting a problem, and no-one even joining in here with the same issue

I'm not getting at you, but this does seem odd. It could be that no other K users have yet upgraded, but all the users on all other IS systems?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 27-May-12 23:06:22)

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Mon 28-May-12 06:48:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've had the same experience, two weeks ago. I uninstalled tbbmeter until this is sorted out, sorry should have posted to make others aware.

I like KIS but this sort of thing seems not unusual and a fix normally appears quickly. Checked Kasp forum today, nothing posted there.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-May-12 08:12:34
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Version 0.9.5.3 from Feb 2010 does not use this driver, but will not work with Win7 SP1

Second download now button at
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-May-12 08:13:34
Print Post

[re: roj2003] [link to this post]

New driver involves spending a fair chunk of real money on the new driver, and then a few weeks integrating it.

So until a lot of other stuff has been done it wont happen.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 28-May-12 10:53:58
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Ditch the snail oil AV.
Standard User roj2003
(learned) Mon 28-May-12 14:07:54
Print Post

Well I never. My Kaspersky today(Monday) told me there was nothing wrong with tbbmeter and I should put it back in (again - second time). So, happy again. roj
Standard User roj2003
(learned) Mon 28-May-12 14:11:35
Print Post

Thinking further about this Kaspersky re-assurance, it has taken it 3 days (same as last time) to re-think and say 'Put it back'. Seems odd that 'it' got rid of tbbmeter but later changes its mind, almost spontaneously?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to