General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Sat 02-Jun-12 16:53:06
Print Post

New version lost my month's usage figures

[link to this post]

When a window popped up recently telling me that a new version of tbb meter was ready to download I installed it, but when on June 1st I tried to export the figures for May I discovered that only the last 4 days of the month were listed.
I sent an email to one of the Thinkbroadband executives but did not get a reply.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Jun-12 19:37:58
Print Post

Re: New version lost my month's usage figures

[re: OldFella] [link to this post]

Been running around so not had time to reply.

The loss of data suggests that the persist.bin was not read successfully after the upgraded version started. Look for a file named mon.bin (days of week), and note the current usage for the few days the meter is showing. Then stop and unload the application, then rename the persist.bin file to persist.small and then make a copy of mon.bin and rename this copy as persist.bin

Then you can run tbbmeter again, and it should have all your old data.

The files should all be in program files(x86)\thinkbroadband.com\tbbmeter

It was not the upgrade as such, but just the PC had an issue with file IO during the stop or start of tbbmeter.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Sun 03-Jun-12 16:38:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The mon.bin file is shown as a VLC Media file and I cannot open it VLC tells me that it cannot open file as it is "undf" whatever that means - what program should I choose to open it to see the details?
(Many thanks for replying to my query!)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Jun-12 20:07:36
Print Post

You do not need to open it to rename the file, or make a copy of it.

The file itself is a binary format of data, so is not human readable

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Mon 04-Jun-12 14:35:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Tried your suggestions without success - not really worried about the missing figures, just wondered why it happened!
Decided to uninstall tbb meter and reinstall from scratch, which I did, choosing the version applicable to my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system. When I ran it the first time the window telling me that a newer version was available popped up (why is the latest version not downloaded) and I installed this.
Next time an update is available, to be on the safe side I will not install it until I have exported the month's figures (just in case!).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jun-12 19:55:43
Print Post

Latest version is not in the download section, as packaging up into the installer takes time, and if a major issue shows up with an update it is easier to release an update.

Print Thread

Jump to