General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.


  Print Thread
Standard User phit03
(newbie) Wed 13-Jun-12 19:13:12
Print Post

tbbmeter shows wildly inaccurate figures


[link to this post]
 
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum so I apologise if this has already been covered but I couldn't find any matches on a search.

I've just installed tbbmeter and it's showing wildly innacurate figures in the stats.
For instance the stats for today show that I've downloaded 71.403GB and uploaded 1.833GB. Pretty good going as the PC's only been on for an hour or so and a speedtest shows 2.6Mbps down and 0.21Mbps up.

The PC has 3 network interfaces (2 ethernet and 1 wireless) but only 1 of the ethernet interfaces is enabled. It also shows a Vodafone Mobile Connect adapter that has a status of disconnected (I did toy with mobile broadband as a backup for the wired ADSL broadband)

I've also got Kaspersky installed with the proactive defense disabled to stop it from uninstalling tbbmeter everytime I try to use it.

tbbmeter should only be monitoring "All Internet traffic" not local intranet traffic.

Anyone come across this behaviour?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jun-12 09:10:32
Print Post

Re: tbbmeter shows wildly inaccurate figures


[re: phit03] [link to this post]
 
Have you tried the calibrate option that is in the latest version?

With 71GB in an hour or so, the green should be easily visible on the graph, and the Menu | Statistics/Alarms | View Visited Sites should show the IP addresses (and some host names if DNS resolution is quick) and where the usage is.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User phit03
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 12:13:12
Print Post

Re: tbbmeter shows wildly inaccurate figures


[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]
 
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to have been a "one off". The stats show that I between 08:00 and 09:00 on the 13th of June I downloaded/uploaded 68.904GB/1.384GB, an impossibility given my line speeds (plus the fact that I haven't heard from BT to say that I've exceeded my 10GB allowance smile). The figures have been more normal looking since that time.

If I run a "calibrate" from the "Test" menu, I get the following message every time:

The calibrated data correction is outside the normal range, if your speeds subsequent to this message look wrong or suspect. Disable calibration via Test Tools / Reset Data Calibration or run the calibration again.

Doing a reset makes no difference.

The calibration taskbar pop-up shows the correct download line speed of around 2900Kbps but the tbbmeter graph seems to show twice that value (the Kaspersky problem?). I have a spare Norton Internet Security licence, I'll try uninstalling Kaspersky and installing Norton instead to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks

Tony.


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 24-Jun-12 12:12:17
Print Post

Re: tbbmeter shows wildly inaccurate figures


[re: phit03] [link to this post]
 
TB meter says 180 mb but dongle software says total of 102 mb UP & Down.

BIG discrepancy.

On running the calibration - the data range is outside the normal please disable the calibration. or something along those lines.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM 30 (soon to be 60) VMDG 480 Gigabit router 2 x cat5e cables to work room, one for gigabit to 8 port switch, second N WiFi router in dual channel mode 300 mbit/sec & other devices, the other for 10/100 to 16 port switch (runs at 200mbit according to the spec sheet) Printer etc.

Edited by bigluap (Sun 24-Jun-12 12:16:19)

  Print Thread

Jump to