General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jul-12 01:36:12
Print Post

Wildly inaccurate readings

[link to this post]

The online Speedtest shows my download as 2 to 3 mb/sec, whilst TB meter is showing about 20 mb/sec. The amount downloaded is 3 to 4 times the amount shown in the connection software & online in my monthly statement.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Jul-12 01:58:38
Print Post

Re: Wildly inaccurate readings

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Are you confusing Bytes with bits?

2.5 MBytes/sec = 20 Mbits/s!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jul-12 09:19:50
Print Post

Which mode is tbbmeter running in?

With TCP/UDP monitoring enabled?
OR
Where the network connections menu is enabled? If this then its possible you have more than one interface being monitored.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jul-12 01:40:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have only the one connection via a Three dongle, WiFi is turned off in Device Manager. I have never had a download of greater than 4mbit/sec. So I was surprised to see 24 in TB meter,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jul-12 10:01:36
Print Post

So which mode is tbbmeter running in?
See which menu item is ticked under Types of Traffic to Display menu.

We have two ways to measure traffic, and it is feasible that some IP comms between dongle and PC is being counted. There is code that aleviates this in theory, but maybe the Three dongles are doing things differently.

Also what firewall and anti virus are you running?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bigluap
(learned) Wed 11-Jul-12 18:27:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All internet traffic.
this is a stand alone latop, not connected to any network.
Internet via a 3G dongle.

Also installed at home with VirginMedia 30mbit/sec connection & got 76 mbit/sec reading for the 100mb download. This PC uses VM's Internet security program.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM 30 (soon to be 60) VMDG 480 Gigabit router 2 x cat5e cables to work room, one for gigabit to 8 port switch, second N WiFi router in dual channel mode 300 mbit/sec & other devices, the other for 10/100 to 16 port switch (runs at 200mbit according to the spec sheet) Printer etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jul-12 18:39:12
Print Post

[re: bigluap] [link to this post]

Under the test tools there is an option to Download 5MB and produce TCP data log.

This when done creates a CSV file with the packet log from when the file was downloaded (and any other IP activity) can you create the CSV then email it to andrew@thinkbroadband.com

Print Thread

Jump to