General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrHugh
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 15:39:25
Print Post

TBB Meter inaccurate

[link to this post]

A week ago I installed tbb meter on 4 computers on my home network. Fibre to cabinet. Win NT 64 bit. 40MB download speed, allegedly.
I have checked that I have the latest edition and they are set to All internet traffic (TCP/UDP).
I ran the download 5MB file test which read accurately in the TBB stats as a 5MB download.
I then downloaded 4GB from an ftp site but tbb meter showed that I had downloaded 6GB.
In fact whenever I check the stats before and after downloading a 100mb file or larger TBB stats say that I have downloaded about 50% more than the file size.
Are there any setting that I should be looking at?
Thanks,
Hugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 15:46:06
Print Post

Re: TBB Meter inaccurate

[re: MrHugh] [link to this post]

In tbbmeter About what is shown for the Data Calibration.
In the Types of Traffic to Display menu, what option do you have selected.

When you download the 5MB file, it will show its size in the balloon popup, but crucially does the stats such as Downloaded Today, increase by just 5MB?

BTW A 4GB file across FTP, will also incur overheads (but should not be 50% extra), but you also need to verify the exact number of bytes, as 1024 x 1024 x 1024, versus 1000 x 1000 x 1000 can also make a difference.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 15:49:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just done some checking, and have spotted a bug where the amount will be wrong if you are using an update interval that is not 1 second. The graph draws correctly, but amounts are double - oops.

Will fix that in the next day or so, but for your example answer the questions and I can look at reproducing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrHugh
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 16:08:34
Print Post

Data Calibration is set to "No Correction"
Types of traffic to display is set to "All internet traffic TCP/UPD"
I have just run the 5mb download test, "Downloaded Today" increased from 94.3MB to 99.5MB
Just ran it a second time 5MB download shows as a 5.3MB increase in "Downloaded Today".
Thanks,
Hugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 16:13:35
Print Post

I get before 1634.6, after 1639.8. The 5MB file is actually 5120 KB in size, so 1634.6 + 5.12 = 1639.72

Which is pretty much spot on in my book. We work internally in bytes, and use the standard 1000 to convert.

Standard User MrHugh
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 16:17:23
Print Post

Good, so that part is OK.
But how do you explain the 50% increase from the FTP site?
Is there any checks or settings I could look at?
Thanks,
Hugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 16:29:33
Print Post

Need to have a link to the ftp file, so can see if it really is 4,000,000,000 bytes in size, or is 4 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 plus the FTP overheads

Standard User MrHugh
(newbie) Fri 17-Aug-12 11:57:52
Print Post

Sorry I can't give you a link to the FTP file. Security etc.
When the file arrives it is 4,188,396 KB.
When it is on the server it is 3.99 GB.
Are you saying that as the TBB meter accurately logged the 5MB test download then it will give the correct information under all circumstances?
And the fact that I am getting an odd reading from a file from the FTP site means that the TBB meter is correct and I am downloading 6GB, and there is something strange about the FTP download?
Thanks,
Hugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:49:44
Print Post

5MB versus 4GB is a massive difference, so small factors can scale heavily.
Will once I have time to let it run a 500MB download, do a test.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Aug-12 13:11:18
Print Post

HTTP download of 524MB size, and an over read of 16MB. Given PC had tweetdeck, email and other stuff running some of this will have been accounted for by that.

Will need to do same using an FTP client, which FTP client do you use?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to