General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 08-Sep-12 08:33:32
Print Post

Cannot open ttb meter

[link to this post]

OK I might be totally thick but when I click on the icon on my desktop I cannot open the meter. I was thinking that this would show me a graph of my usage?? When I open it a message asks if it can make changes to my computer, I say yes and nothing happens, what am I missing? Thanks in advance, Vicky
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Sep-12 10:22:59
Print Post

Re: Cannot open ttb meter

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I assume you have Vista or Windows 7?

The application after installation and rebooting PC should already be running, there will be a small tb icon in the system tray area (bottom right of screen by default). If icon is not there check that Windows is not hiding it, which is a Windows 7 feature to make tray smaller.

You can see if tbbmeter is running via Windows Task Manager, look for tbbMeter.exe and tbbLoaderService.exe (you may need to click the Shows Processes from all users button)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User viclaw
(newbie) Sat 08-Sep-12 16:52:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes windows 7, thanks for helping, it was so simple!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JVS
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-12 16:15:29
Print Post

[re: viclaw] [link to this post]

Another no-show. I installed yesterday and it worked perfectly. Today the icon has disappeared from the system tray (Windows 7, inc the hidden part)) and the graph refuses to show. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but still the same. tbbmeter.exe shows in Task Manager, but tbbmeterLoaderService.exe doesn't exist. I can't get the graph to appear whatever I do.

Edit: Correction, tbbloaderservice.exe IS running under all users.

Edited by JVS (Fri 28-Sep-12 17:27:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 16:35:37
Print Post

[re: JVS] [link to this post]

NOTE: tbbMeter has code to stop two copies running at once, so running another manually to try and get the visual side up will not work. You MUST kill off other copy.

The Windows service if using Vista or Windows 7 is called tbbLoaderService

and revolves around the exe tbbLoaderService.exe if that is not in memory but tbbMeter is then the software believes it is running on XP, or you have denied UAC elevation during the installation.

A manual download of tbbLoaderService can be found at http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/open/tbbLoaderSer... instructions for doing what the installer normally does for you are:
1. Download the zip file http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/tbbLoaderService.zip
2. Extract tbbLoaderService.exe from this file and place it into the same folder as tbbMeter.exe (if there is a tbbLoaderService.exe file already present then overwrite it).
3. Open a DOS command prompt window with Admin priviledges, i.e. run the program C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe as Administrator - a right click option 4. In the command prompt window type sc delete tbbLoaderService 5. This may fail, which is OK, we are just making any registry settings from previous installer are removed 6. Type into the command prompt window
sc create tbbLoaderService binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\thinkbroadband.com\tbbMeter\tbbLoaderService.exe"
Make sure the path is correct, and also there must be a SPACE between the = sign and the " that surrounds the file path.
7. If you navigate in Windows to control panel | administrative Tools | Services 8. You should now find tbbLoaderService present, right click this entry and change the startup type from Manual to Automatic

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JVS
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-12 17:40:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, I'm new to this. I did the edit to say that tbb Loader was working but forgot to click on 'continue'.

On further investigation 'tbbmeter' appears in the Notification Area Icons dialogue box (with the usage info underneath) when I click on 'customize' - so it looks like tbbmeter is working and it's only the taskbar icon that is missing.

Edit. Hold everything, I've just 'switched it off and switched it back on again' and, after a restart, the icon has reappeared on the taskbar!!!! Interestingly, my stats from yesterday are still visible despite uninstalling and reinstalling.

Here's hoping that the icon stays there. Thanks for your prompt response and comprehensive suggestions.

Edited by JVS (Fri 28-Sep-12 17:54:28)

Print Thread

Jump to