General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob29
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 13:00:36
Print Post

Error message during startup

[link to this post]

I downloaded the latest version of tbbspeed meter yesterday and have installed it on a new Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit laptop.

I get an error message saying "%1 is not a valid Win 32 application" as it starts and tells me to refer to thinkbroadband.com.

The meter seems to work, but I can't set it to run on startup as I have it in my desktop - 32 bit Windows 7.

What is the message about ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Oct-12 14:06:21
Print Post

Re: Error message during startup

[re: rob29] [link to this post]

We see a couple of people a year with this, and the following works usually. Problem usually arises from when doing the original install not allowing UAC rights for the install when it asked for them.

1. Download the zip file http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/tbbLoaderService.zip

2. Extract tbbLoaderService.exe from this file and place it into the same folder as tbbMeter.exe (if there is a tbbLoaderService.exe file already present then overwrite it).

3. Open a DOS command prompt window with Admin priviledges, i.e. run the program C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe as Administrator - a right click option

4. In the command prompt window type sc delete tbbLoaderService

5. This may fail, which is OK, we are just making any registry settings from previous installer are removed 6. Type into the command prompt window
sc create tbbLoaderService binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\thinkbroadband.com\tbbMeter\tbbLoaderService.exe"
Make sure the path is correct, and also there must be a SPACE between the = sign and the " that surrounds the file path.

7. If you navigate in Windows to control panel | administrative Tools | Services 8. You should now find tbbLoaderService present, right click this entry and change the startup type from Manual to Automatic

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rob29
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 14:10:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that.

It didn't ask for UAC rights during the install although I was watching for that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Oct-12 14:17:03
Print Post

Does it ask when you run the application manually?

(That is assuming you have not turned it off, so that applications never ask, they are just granted it).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rob29
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 16:01:15
Print Post

Yes it did.

I'm not using that computer just now, so can't recheck again just now.

I made a system restore point before installing it, so wondered if I should do a system restore and try again. I think the laptop UAC is at it's lowest setting - could that be anything to do with it ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Oct-12 17:51:19
Print Post

The manual setup for the service loading I posted should generally fix things

Standard User rob29
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 18:24:02
Print Post

Thanks.

This link isn't working - http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/tbbLoaderService.zip

Shall I just try it again tomorrow ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Oct-12 19:51:53
Print Post

I must have moved it - will fix sometime on Monday

Standard User rob29
(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-12 19:59:46
Print Post

I've done a system restore and then reinstalled - but by right clicking and running as administrator.

It all seems fine now and with no error message appearing on startup.

Thanks !
  Print Thread

Jump to