General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Sun 02-Dec-12 09:46:49
Print Post

BT Usage Meter versus tbbmeter

[link to this post]

BT have told me that my usage in November was 7GB, whereas tbbmeter shows a total of only 2.4GB - can anyone explain this huge difference?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Dec-12 11:34:35
Print Post

Re: BT Usage Meter versus tbbmeter

[re: OldFella] [link to this post]

Are you adding together download and upload?

If you do a speediest does the green graph agree with the speed test result? For BT to say 7GB and us 2.4GB would mean a 10 Meg speedtest result would only be showing 4Meg on the graph. I presume this is not the case as most people would spot this.

Some windows updates are masked and not always seen by tbbmeter, but there are normally not that many in a month.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Sun 02-Dec-12 16:36:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My query is about monthly usage, not speed, so your reply just didn't make sense.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Dec-12 18:57:55
Print Post

The usage data is collected from the data that is used to draw the graph, hence the link between the two.

In tbbMeter there is a test tools area, download the 20MB file, a small balloon will pop up showing the speed and amount downloaded. This speed should agree with the green graph, in your cases they need to disagree by a factor or more than two.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-12 09:01:42
Print Post

Done the test - balloon figures agree with green graph.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Dec-12 09:30:46
Print Post

So the meter is recording ok, other aspect now is whether you have any other devices like phone, sky+ that are using the broadband and maybe accounting for the extra

Standard User OldFella
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-12 10:46:00
Print Post

No other devices used.
It makes me think - either:-
BT are trying to persuade me to upgrade to a more expensive package or
tbb meter is not giving me the full picture.
I don't know which to believe anymore!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Dec-12 10:50:48
Print Post

There have been rare occassions where a download started before tbbmeter is running may not be registered, the joys of Windows starting its own downloads before other software is running - but a months worth of Windows Updates should not be 4 or 5GB.

We have also seen a similar number of people who have been away and all their computers off, and BT claiming high usage. So difference really is we converse about possible exceptions to our monitoring, BT blindly say theirs is right.

Print Thread

Jump to