General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User investmentbanker
(learned) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:00:25
Print Post

tbb meter does not seem to capture P2P traffic (after crash)

[link to this post]

HI. I've used the tbb meter for years now (so I know what the graph should generally show when I am doing something such as using P2P). Anyway, I'm using Win7 on a quad-core PC desktop. I was using utorrent P2P this morning and Win7 crashed. It produced a dump file and then rebooted, but then something curious happened. As my PC was loading up the boot-up applications (one of which is the tbb meter), up popped a window asking me what I wanted my tbb meter to capture. It was pre-checked to "Realtek" something. I clicked, "Okay". But then I noticed it said that I wasn't using much bandwidth. I checked my utorrent, and it was furiously downloading at about 900kbs, but my tbb meter said my computer was more or less idling. I uninstalled tbb meter and downloaded the latest version (I am sure I previously had the latest version). It still does the same thing. I want to capture my full bandwidth use and not leave out P2P. Do you have any idea what is wrong? Or what that window that popped up was??? Thanks in advance to anybody who knows.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:42:10
Print Post

Re: tbb meter does not seem to capture P2P traffic (after cr

[re: investmentbanker] [link to this post]

That suggests it is monitoring the network connections as oppossed to the TCP/UDP level monitoring.

You need to open the Network Connections window in tbbmeter, and check that the network interface it is monitoring is really the one carrying all the traffic.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:43:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To add, the download is a few minor versions old, so best to a Check For Updates in tbbmeter itself. It will do one on its own after a few hours.

newest version is 0.9.9.5

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Mon 18-Mar-13 13:29:30
Print Post

Thanks for that. I went to open "Network Connections" and it is greyed-out, so I cannot change anything. What to do!!???
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 13:32:58
Print Post

[re: investmentbanker] [link to this post]

In which case you should have to do nothing, the software is probably running in TCP/UDP monitoring mode (next menu item up the list)

In this case it is probably that the multitude of sockets creating by the torrent software were already created before the tbbmeter application was running, and thus the software is not seeing the traffic. There is code to try and catch this, but not always successful.

Counting the WAN traffic relies on seeing the creating of the TCP or UDP data sockets so that they can be tracked and usage counted.

(learned) Mon 18-Mar-13 16:50:29
Print Post

Thanks. That is what it was. I never have utorrent set to run on Windows open. But when my PC crashed, and it automatically rebooted, it restarted all the applications, including utorrent, and utorrent apparently opened before the tbb meter. So I shut them both down, then opened up the tbb meter, and then opened utorrent, and everything works fine again.
Standard User narz
(member) Wed 03-Jul-13 00:40:43
Print Post

Good stuff - just installed it my self and was experiencing the same thing as I had connections in place before launching TbbMeter.

Maybe worth adding to the FAQs?.

Off topic - is there a way to change the readings to KB/s from Mbps and Kbps (on the graph and the side bars).

Great app though, thanks.

Plusnet FTTC 72/18Mbps

Edited by narz (Wed 03-Jul-13 00:43:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:05:56
Print Post

[re: narz] [link to this post]

Alas no option to flip the display to show KB/s

Print Thread

Jump to