General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User theringingman
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 14:57:08
Print Post

upload and download whilst my internet is disconnected

[link to this post]

I have just downloaded tbbmeter as I suddenly had used all of my monthly allowance.
I think I have sorted the main issue but in monitoring what is happening find that even when I disconnect the internet I find that every 20secs or so there is a small upload and at the same time a smaller download. How can this be with the internet disconnected.
Any help most welcome
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Apr-13 15:28:39
Print Post

Re: upload and download whilst my internet is disconnected

[re: theringingman] [link to this post]

The router polling for connected devices? Or v.v.?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Thu 11-Apr-13 15:45:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

thanks for your reply. I had thought there might be something of this nature happening but thought it could only be the computer trying to upload, how could there be a download. I then realised that it is the internet that is disconnected and not the communication to the hub so I have turned the wireless key off, on the computer, but it still continues.
What is v.v.
thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Apr-13 15:50:47
Print Post

Vice versa

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Apr-13 16:17:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If you are running with Types of Internet traffic set to All Internet traffic you should be able to see what the traffic is using the Sites Visited menu under the statistics menu.

Open this, then click clear list, and as this polling happens you should see the traffic appear.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 09:28:22
Print Post

When you say the internet is disconnected, that only happens if you turn off the router. In which case tbbMeter shouldn't be showing anything.

Do you just mean you have closed your browser, or similar? Even closed the PPP session?

While the router is on there is a constant stream of (mainly empty) packets in both directions all the time when you aren't using it. Even your error stats can mount up. Pings can come through, open port searches, various bits and bobs. Software on the computer checking for updates is another. Email client?
Edit - Strikeout as not if the wireless link from the computer is off.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 12-Apr-13 09:30:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 09:36:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by theringingman:
I then realised that it is the internet that is disconnected and not the communication to the hub so I have turned the wireless key off, on the computer, but it still continues.
Hang on.

Are you saying the computer is connected wirelessly to the router and yet when you turn off the wireless tbbMeter continues to show this traffic? Even though the computer has no access to anything?

Is anything attached to the computer by cable, such as a printer? Is Bluetooth turned on?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:40:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I disconnected the broadband connection, turned off the wireless key on the computer, turned the router off at the mains and still there is small upload and download. As far as I am aware there is no bluetooth on the computer. There is a wireless printer operating through the nhub but that is tuned off and with no router cannot work. The only cable attached to the computer is the mains lead.
As I don't think I can attach anything to this email I have put a screen print of the tb meter at
http://www.bosbury-church.org/screenprint.htm
What is the meter measuring?
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:45:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If I refresh the sites visited with the internet disconnected nothing comes up on the screen.
Is this because it cannot log the traffic or does it need the internet to refresh the list?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 11:58:39
Print Post

I just ran my PC with the ethernet removed and same graph scale as you and there was no traffic displayed

What mode are you running tbbmeter in? It can monitor traffic through packet sniffing (TCP/UDP mode) or network interfaces

And due to the way some software works it is possible you may be spotting some Inter process communction on the PC itself, rather than Internet traffic.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to