General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User duranium
(newbie) Fri 12-Jul-13 20:25:03
Print Post

tbbMeter Going Crazy

[link to this post]

The tbbMeter said on 9th July I had used approximately 43% (4.3 GB) of my monthly download allowance of 10GB and on 10th July when I put the computer on it said it was now 168% (16.8 and odds GB) and at the time of sending this it is supposedly now 472% (47.2 GB). That I in doing nothing too different from what I normally do online have used nearly 43 GB in 3 days! or 14.333GB per day (And rising.) Talk about trying to give someone a heart attack!

I suspected there was something up and asked BT for an estimate of what I had according to them used so far in July and it is put at approximately 3.44GB .

So what is going on? I have used the tbbMeter since March 2012 and the estimates between it's and BT's estimate of my broadband usage have usually not been out by more than 1.7 GB. My wireless network is I am satisfied secure and if BT is satisfied that the Broadband use for July has not been more than in usual months then as they are paid for the usage I am not going to argue with that.

Except I installed the tbbMeter to keep me generally right as to what my actual broadband use at any time approximately is.
Standard User stuarttunstall
(newbie) Wed 11-Sep-13 06:51:51
Print Post

Re: tbbMeter Going Crazy

[re: duranium] [link to this post]

I had the same thing yesterday... On my desktop PC which is only used for about 3 hours a day, between 5am and 7am yesterday I used around 7GB with a download speed of 3000+MB

Day before and today are OK

Stuart Tunstall
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Sep-13 11:05:16
Print Post

[re: stuarttunstall] [link to this post]

There is code to catch glitches in counters, but there is a risk that some errant data can appear in these counters and this be reflected by tbbMeter.

Most often this is after a device comes out of sleep mode, and we try to avoid the first few samples from network interfaces when this is the case.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Sep-13 18:14:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just wanted to feed this back but not make a new thread. Yesterday my machine had the BSOD and when I rebooted I noticed my TBB meter had reset the daily amount to 0 and wanted to let you know.

"Virgin Media - The only company I've ever dealt with who can end a complaint call trying to sell a Mobile "
Standard User stuarttunstall
(newbie) Tue 17-Sep-13 20:56:29
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I have notices something interesting..

If I view my usage stats on the website, and look at the 10th September, it states the following:-

Download :7414MB
Upload: 622MB

If I click on the icon in the taskbar, go to full stats, and export the month, for the SAME day it shows..

Download: 340MB
Upload: 12MB

So why the difference?

Stuart

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-Sep-13 11:31:04
Print Post

[re: stuarttunstall] [link to this post]

Have you more than one piece of kit on the router? The reading on a PC is solely the usage of that PC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to