General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Tue 22-Jul-14 22:40:26
Print Post

BSOD and pssdklbf.sys

[link to this post]

Since I've had this Win 7 PC I've had a lot of BSOD. Never had one on my two previous Win XP PCs, although latterly I got a load of freezes and crashes (no bluescreen). Last time it happened on this new one I managed to grab a photo of it. This mentioned pssdklbf.sys

I looked on the internet and there was mention of TBB meter being the culprit. I have had it installed virtually from day 1 though it took 4 weeks for the first BSOD to come. I installed BlueScreenView today so I was able to see that all 12 mention this pssdklbf.sys

I did a search for the file by typing it into Start menu search box, to find nothing.

Does anyone have any information on this please? Obviously I could simply uninstall TBB meter but I was after info first. BTW I used TBB meter on my old PCs with no issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Internet Security (came as trial with new PC),
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 22:52:05
Print Post

Re: BSOD and pssdklbf.sys

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

What version of tbbMeter is it? Searching this forum for pssdklbf.sys (all posts) gives loads about it, with 0.9.7.0 being the latest with it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:42:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It is the packet sniffer DLL that splits LAN from WAN traffic, if you run with TCP/UDP monitoring turned off and rely on just the network interface counters the DLL is not running and their should be no blue screens.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Wed 23-Jul-14 00:27:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have disabled this now (I think) but there is now no visual display of activity. The test tools run but no visual indication. Is this what you mean by "rely on just the network interface counters"?

WIndows 7 SP1, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Internet Security (came as trial with new PC),
Standard User rob54
(committed) Wed 23-Jul-14 00:28:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

0.9.9.4 latest.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jul-14 09:41:23
Print Post

When you have set disable TCP/UDP monitoring there is a gap of a few seconds while software reconfigures and then you may need to go into the tbbMeter Network Connections menu to check what interfaces it is monitoring.

The hybrid mode usually works best, but some people have had to use manual due to the way their PC is configured.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rob54
(committed) Wed 23-Jul-14 13:13:51
Print Post

OK I've selected Hybrid. I have no idea how any of this works but I can see ticks against these with IP addressest:
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Realtek I regognise as the network adaptor, but I have no idea about the other one. :$

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jul-14 14:10:25
Print Post

The Teredo is just a fancy name for the IPv6 support in Windows

Standard User rob54
(committed) Wed 23-Jul-14 14:26:24
Print Post

OK thanks. See how it goes now.

Because I got the first bluescreen 2-3 days after installing my camera software, the makers of the PC in Germany thought it may be this. So I uninstalled it. No difference. They are now suggesting I disconnect the front USB ports from the mainboard (as they call it) as the first time I used the camera connected to a front socket may have loaded a 'bad or wrong driver' and may be the cause of the blue screen. Even when the camera is not connected. But if I do disconnect the USB (and I'm not sure I should as the computer is stilll newish and in guarantee) I have no front USB!

I can't even find that file, only pssdk.net.dll which is described as a packet sniffer (you mention that in your initial reply Mr Saffron).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Jul-14 14:46:33
Print Post

The file in the blue screen is created on the fly by the pssdk.net.dll

When I've had the blue screens it is usually when doing a lot with USB ports too, e.g. phones charging, mouse and/or USB keys so suspect something in the USB sub system is impacting the driver for the sniffing, rather than an actual bug in the code I've got control off. Joys of so many permutations of PC hardware and so little time to spend on investigating.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to