General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User whitmarsh
(newbie) Thu 07-Aug-14 12:29:11
Print Post

Apparent disparity between your speed test, tbbmeter etc

[link to this post]

If I run your speed test, I am told that my average download speed is about 2.4Mbps, which is what BT offer at my address (and which agrees with BT's own tester). The max. burst speed (HTTPx6) down is shown as 3.43. However, while that test was running, tbbmeter showed bursts at about 14Mbps (the scale on the left having changed to max 16).

Also, although my line will provide only about 2.5, when I was downloading an application recently, the tbbmeter scale changed to 32 max., showed quite a long period at about 14 and a burst of about 20.

Can you explain how these high speeds are possible on a line that nominally provides only 2.5 and why your (and BT's) test give much lower rates than tbbmeter?

I have screenshots but don't know how to send them to you.

I might add that the speed shown on tbbmeter has increased greatly since I complained to BT (though the speed test result has not).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Aug-14 12:46:42
Print Post

Re: Apparent disparity between your speed test, tbbmeter etc

[re: whitmarsh] [link to this post]

What mode for monitoring the connection is tbbMeter using? The reason being that as AV/firewall software interjects itself in the network stack you can get burst behaviour if using TCP/UDP mode. If the TCP/UDP mode is disabled then other traffic on the Ethernet cable will be counting on the graph but not the speed test results.

The speed test works hard to avoid these problems, but seeing the graph from the speed test i.e. link the results URL may help.

Kaspersky AV software is one package that is known to create a high burst early during tests. The real test is what speed is the router actually connecting at across the ADSL line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User whitmarsh
(newbie) Thu 07-Aug-14 14:24:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's using TCP/UDP. My AV software is Avast Free.

I suppose I can understand the occasional burst, though how even that can be faster than the speed of which the line from the exchange is capable, I don't know. But it's not just bursts that are at much higher speed - as I said, while I was downloading an application, there was a long period shown as being at 14Mbps.

According to the new BT test, the speed between the exchange and my router is 3.3Mbps.

How can I get screenshots to you?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Aug-14 15:02:47
Print Post

Upload screenshots to one of the many free hosts, and post a link. These days I use Dropbox.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Aug-14 15:14:30
Print Post

The burst is most often NOT across the ADSL line, but in the software that runs the network interface on the PC

As for the router connection speed, you are reporting just another speed test, you need to access the routers local web page for the info e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to