General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spamlet
(newbie) Thu 18-Sep-14 17:23:49
Print Post

Wld lke ability 2 hover over, & see what is being downloaded

[link to this post]

Hi all: new to forum so be gentle. wink

I'm used to having Process Explorer monitors open in my notification area, and am pleased to have recently been able to add tbbMeter to their number.

With PE, I am able to hover the mouse pointer over the monitors to see which processes are most active, for each particular spike. Ideally, I would like to be able to hover over spikes in an application like tbbMeter, and see what is actually being downloaded by the process identified in PE.

I appreciate from the FAQ, that tbbMeter does not currently monitor what is being downloaded, but I would just like to say that I would find this functionality very useful, if it could be considered in a future version of the meter.

In the meantime, I would be glad to know about any 'companion' app, with which I can check what is being downloaded in real time.

Whilst I'm here a couple of minor points:

The scales on the current meter are a bit confusing in that the left hand one is in, I think, bits, but the one at top right is in bytes, but they both have the same 'bps' label. Perhaps the bytes one could have a 'B' rather than a 'b'. (And looking at the full meter now, I see a whole lot of peaks, and there is a strong desire to hover over them and see what made them...)

Minor point: My pc default browser is Firefox, but the link in the 'about' dialogue, opens Chrome, without a right click or copy option to allow me to use another browser; And,

The 'options' dialogue opens in a window that is too small to contain the options, and only a tiny piece of the save button is visible. I have both 'Sizer' and 'ResizeEnable', but it is impossible to increase the size of this particular window.

These minor points aside I am finding the tbbMeter one of my more useful additions.

Many thanks,

S
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Sep-14 17:35:29
Print Post

Re: Wld lke ability 2 hover over, & see what is being downlo

[re: Spamlet] [link to this post]

Very unlikely - the library used is no longer being developed, which means it will be VERY costly to do this and support Windows 8.

There is a window that lets you track the usage per app, but not in the click type manner you suggest, and would be fun as you can have multiple apps downloading/upload at once.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spamlet
(newbie) Thu 18-Sep-14 20:14:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Andrew.

Not knowing how these things work, I don't know anything about necessary use of libraries--out of date or otherwise--but I'll take your word for it. smile

From what I've been hearing about Windows 8, though, I suspect that 7 will be around for a few years yet (Still preferred XP Pro, frankly.).

Can't see a window for usage by app, unless you mean the CPU meter on my Process Explorer.

Do you know of any other programs that can monitor what is being downloaded by each process? (Obviously, I'm not particularly interested in knowing that I've just downloaded a video, but, when I see the tbbMeter spike, when I've not, personally, asked to download something, I'd very much like to know what just happened.)

Thanks for the prompt reply,

S

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Sep-14 20:40:11
Print Post

[re: Spamlet] [link to this post]

if you are running tbbMeter with tcp/udp monitoring enabled and have All Internet Traffic ticked in the tbbMeter menu then you can access View Sites Visited which is under the Statistic menu

Or if worried about some odd traffic under Test Tools, run the record TCP data for 30 seconds option and you can open resulting file in a spreadsheet and see which processes are doing stuff.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spamlet
(newbie) Fri 19-Sep-14 22:35:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hey thanks Andrew: that is just the job!

This is really a great facility, but, it's a bit of a shame that the designers didn't go one step further and put it on a little graph in the notification area, with the IP addresses resolving on hover. That would have been the icing on the cake.

Anyway, it is letting me see what I wanted to see, so I'm really glad I asked. (y)

Is there a way to stop the view refreshing while you are trying to read it: It keeps jumping back to the top before I can resolve some of the addresses?

Cheers,

S
  Print Thread

Jump to