General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RMCarey
(newbie) Mon 06-Oct-14 13:22:19
Print Post

tbbmeter disagreeing with BitMeterOS

[link to this post]

I'm using ttbMeter alongside BitMeter OS. They both return almost identical results when I test with uploads and downloads of known sizes. But, what's this? ttbMeter says today's totals (so far) are 59.4MB down and 5.95 up. BitMeter says 122.47MB down and 179.93MB up. Whoops.

Download measured by my ISP runs at around 1GB a day. So, I'm inclined to believe BitMeter over ttbMeter. Normally, one wouldn't mind, but the differences between the two here are so huge the issue merits a closer look.

Anyone else encountered such differences?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Oct-14 19:57:34
Print Post

Re: tbbmeter disagreeing with BitMeterOS

[re: RMCarey] [link to this post]

Do you have more than one computer, and do you have traffic between them?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Oct-14 20:20:46
Print Post

What monitoring mode is tbbmeter running in?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RMCarey
(newbie) Mon 06-Oct-14 23:31:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We have three PCs and two Macs, and the usual rat's nest of tablets and smartphones. But today, only two PCs and one Mac on line. Everything goes through a Netgear Gigabit Smartswitch, to a Mikrotik Routerboard, and then to a fixed wireless broadband network. I don't know what mode ttbMeter is running in, but it's set to measure All Internet Traffic. Poiunt is, it;'s reading much less than BitMeter. Right now, BitMeter says traffic since last midnight now totals 753MB, while ttbMeter says 297MB.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Oct-14 23:40:32
Print Post

The point of the similar question from both of us it that tbbMeter can include or exclude counting traffic on the LAN, so possibly you have it correctly set to Exclude, but BitMeter may be including it.

In which case wrt usage that your ISP sees tbbMeter would be the correct one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Oct-14 23:46:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by RMCarey:
We have three PCs and two Macs, and the usual rat's nest of tablets and smartphones. But today, only two PCs and one Mac on line. Everything goes through a Netgear Gigabit Smartswitch, to a Mikrotik Routerboard, and then to a fixed wireless broadband network.
Uh uh!

tbbMeter monitors the traffic through the LAN network connection of the machine it is running on, between it and the router (via the Smartswitch). Bearing in mind also my post a few minutes ago. Not the traffic through the internet modem.

If you have two Windows machines it needs to be installed and running on both.

There is no Mac version, so that and all your other non-Windows devices aren't counted. Where does BitMeter reside, and what does it count where? It would need to be monitoring the router WAN connection.
Edit - typo.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 06-Oct-14 23:49:59)

Standard User RMCarey
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 11:59:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Negligible traffic between any devices. Left ttbMeter and BitMeterOS running last night, all apps and automatic updates closed or off, host PC thus almost totally dormant. At 0900 today, ttbMeter said 5255 kb total, BitMeter said 358MB. I believe ttbMeter. BitMeter relatively difficult to contact, but I'm about to experiment with BitMeterII. I'm inclined to think ttbMeter is providing the right data.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Oct-14 12:05:29
Print Post

When using the TCP/UDP All Internet Traffic mode there are the odd downloads we miss if they start before the application is up and running at boot time, but otherwise we should see everything going through the PC.

358MB is a lot of traffic for a PC that is sat there doing nothing, only thing that might be is Windows Updates.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to