General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User diddlypockets
(newbie) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:44:07
Print Post

tbbmeter - laptop always on?

[link to this post]

Hello, my first post here at ThinkBroadband after I have moved to BT Infinity recently. I have been advised to use the tbbmeter to monitor my usage so I can ensure that I do not exceed my usage cap. Having tried to find how tbbmeter works I have not been able to find this answer. Maybe quite obvious to some but I could not find this information.

will tbbmeter need the machine on which I have installed it to remain on all the time that I am expecting it to monitor my usage? I cant see how will tbbmeter monitor my usage unless installing it on my computer (a laptop, for the record) makes it sit on my modem/router/homehub which will make it monitor my BB Usage volumes even when my computer is shutdown/asleep/out of the house.

Sorry if this has already been answered, I couldn't find this information.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:59:29
Print Post

Re: tbbmeter - laptop always on?

[re: diddlypockets] [link to this post]

What's wrong with the BT Usage meter? http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/346/a_id...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:02:24
Print Post

tbbMeter can only monitor the traffic on the computer it is installed on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:04:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BT usage monitor link gives me an error. When I requested for assistance about it, I was advised I could use tbbmeter. :-|

Edited by diddlypockets (Tue 08-Sep-15 12:05:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:07:55
Print Post

To monitor the data usage on the computers it is installed on, but it has no special access to the Home Hub.

Another option is to upgrade to the unlimited products, for new customers currently same price and existing customers willing to recontract can often negotiate a price deal.

If you are starting to watch streamed films, then the limited usage products will soon have their allowance used up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:28:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks Andrew. The FAQs on tbbmeter pages do show that this can be used by installing on multiple computers and then consolidating the usage reports from each of them.

How do I see combined traffic from multiple computers?
You will need to register each copy that you have installed. Once registered, login on our website and follow the link to 'My Profile' at the top right. On here there is a link to tbbMeter Stats which will allow you to collate statistics of multiple computers.
(newbie) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:30:42
Print Post

I am a new customer for BT. When I placed the order in the third week of August, there was a difference in the price of limited Vs Unlimited Broadband. The information mentioned was that the pricing was half price for the first X months and then regular price would be double - which meant the difference from unlimited usage was significant enough for me to decide to go with limited Broadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Sep-15 15:14:38
Print Post

Yes that will work, but obviously won't see usage from devices like mobiles, but they often have their own data use tracking built in now

(newbie) Tue 08-Sep-15 15:26:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yes that will work, but obviously won't see usage from devices like mobiles, but they often have their own data use tracking built in now

Overall it doesnt allow me to track how much have I used with BT.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-15 11:26:11
Print Post

The meter only measures what has been used on the PC it is installed on and therefore the PC only needs to be on whilst it is in use. Your problem is you will need to install it on all PCs and then add up the numbers to get the approx. total. There will always be some additional traffic as there is some overhead for just having the router turned on but it will get you within a reasonable percentage.

And as has been said if you have mobile devices then you would need to use the features available on those to get their numbers.

Some routers keep a track of usage in the interface and I think the homehub does. But, it is usage since it was turned on so if you have to reboot or have a power cut then it will reset to zero.
  Print Thread

Jump to