General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mgfvvc
(newbie) Sat 19-Sep-15 14:26:06
Print Post

Wildly differing results from alternate tester

[link to this post]

I have recently switched ISPs and I have been keeping a closer eye on my broadband speeds than usual. I have been surprised to see speeds of less than 2.0Mbps and sometimes less than 0.5Mbps where I was expecting around 7.0 Mbps.

Today I had a moment when most of the other attached devices are off and I thought I could get a clean test. I was shocked to get a 0.4Mbps reading. I switched to the alternate tester for a comparison and 2 runs both gave readings around 6.75 Mbps. Another try with the new tester again gave a much lower speed of about 1.5 Mbps.

It seems to me that the differences are very much more down to the tester than to any real differences in the network and that the alternate tester is much more accurate.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Sep-15 15:01:15
Print Post

Re: Wildly differing results from alternate tester

[re: mgfvvc] [link to this post]

http://tbb.st/1442668367428921855
http://tbb.st/144267187054473891880

I think these are your two tests, and the very sharp peak on one suggests that the AV software you are running may have interfered with the traffic. The alternate which uses flash can sometimes get around that.

The observation with even the alternate is that your speeds were still wobbly for the HTTP based traffic on the alternate, which is unusual as they should be as flat as the tbbx1 graph.

Someone shortly before on Zen using the same browser and tester got reasonable speeds
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mgfvvc
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-15 08:29:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I thought I had replied to this, but I guess I missed submitting after the preview, What I meant to say in my reply was

That's interesting.

I don't see any indication on the speedtest page that it might be impacted by AV. Turning off real time protection in MSE seemed to give one faster test, then it returned to it's normal pattern.

I wonder if some of the wobbliness is down to the network path including both wifi and a noisy and unpredictable homeplug connection. Unfortunately the ADSL router is a little hard to access, so I can't easily run the same test with an ethernet cable patched directly into the router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mgfvvc
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-15 08:33:19
Print Post

[re: mgfvvc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mgfvvc:
Unfortunately the ADSL router is a little hard to access, so I can't easily run the same test with an ethernet cable patched directly into the router.

Following up on that, I realised this morning that there is an accessible ethernet cable going from the router to my printer. Swapping that cable to a laptop gave me a smooth graph, so it probably was the noisy homeplug circuit causing the wobbles.
  Print Thread

Jump to