General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Mon 05-Sep-16 07:58:35
Print Post

Very Variable speeds

[link to this post]

Can anyone point me as the likely cause of this:-

Very variable speed

I am using ADSL, a Draytek Vigor 2860n (with updated firmware) & Windows 10.

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Mon 05-Sep-16 08:02:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:32:08
Print Post

Re: Very Variable speeds

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

The dips are followed by a recovery, which is generally a buffering issue caused by hardware or AV software for example so probably no actual ADSL problems to resolve

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Mon 05-Sep-16 18:15:36
Print Post

Very Variable speeds ? Buffering ?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank-you Andrew.

This is a new problem. I can't put my finger on any change in hardware & AV software which might account for this except:-

1. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 days before the deadline (29th July) & the problem started about then

2. My AV software is continually being updated. I use AVG, (paid version not free). Is there an alternative which might not cause or contribute to buffering ?

Hardware has been solid & consistent with no changes for 3+ years. I have 8GB of RAM, should I increase maybe to 16GB. Processor is Intel i7 2.8 GHz.

Any ideas please?

NJSS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Sep-16 19:12:23
Print Post

Re: Very Variable speeds ? Buffering ?

I think it's worth commenting that in this very recent thread a newly installed AVG was causing problems.

The thread refers to very strange upstream speeds, so not directly relevant, but perhaps the latest AVG updates may be incompatible on some systems.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Sep-16 23:01:29
Print Post

With those broadband speeds and PC spec unless something else was maxing out the CPU then upgrades there are not going to be worth the money

A switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is a BIG change and may just be that flash under Windows 10 behaves that way. To be totally honest better off without flash these days if you can manage it. Another honesty check unless those blips in the test are reflecting in day to day activity I'd not be worrying about them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Tue 06-Sep-16 08:31:50
Print Post

Re: Very Variable speeds ? AV ?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS

Thanks for that link.

I have uninstalled AVG, quite a long job, but the problem still persists.

I am inclined to reinstall AVG, but won't do so quite yet.

NJSS
Standard User NJSS
(learned) Tue 06-Sep-16 08:40:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew

unless those blips in the test are reflecting in day to day activity I'd not be worrying about them.

That's certainly comforting. My normal connection is c. 6/0.9Mbps, so performance is constrained by the slowish download speed from time to time.

I'm moving from ADSL to FTTC next week, and was hoping to resolve this problem before the move.

It may, of course, be that the problem will go away once I am on FTTC.

I've uninstalled AVG, and am inclined to reinstall it, but not quite yet.

I'm also inclined to up my PCs RAM, but I'll ait until everything has settled down when I'm on FTTC.

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

NJSS
  Print Thread

Jump to