General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JohnUU2
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:26:19
Print Post

ttbmeter (old and New versions)

[link to this post]

Not sure if you have addressed this afore ... but I do a test each week using both versions of the Speedtest. Just thought I'd point out that there's always a discrepancy in the Latency readings returned.

Today's readings are typical ... Old version: 33mS New version: 83mS - so there's quite a difference being measured, and it's always the newer test which gives the greater latency.

Any 'reasons' worthy of consideration in the matter?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Mar-17 12:09:11
Print Post

Re: ttbmeter (old and New versions)

[re: JohnUU2] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with the tbbMeter software, as assuming you are actually referring to speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Flash (old) uses a custom socket protocol and this will show lower latency for some.
Newer speed test is a small TCP packet for measuring latency and this can be higher.

Neither are ICMP ping, but in terms of relative performance comparisons for a connection they are fine

The latency maps at http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2017/02/speed-test-qu... show how latency measured in the speed test increases the further you get from our test cluster in London

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JohnUU2
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 12:31:49
Print Post

Re: ttbmeter (old and New versions)

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, Andrew, my enquiry was indeed in respect of the Thinkbroadband speedtest, on my adsl service (which is pretty dire at the moment). But it's the 'variability' of response time that is annoying the hell out of me. I've seen Latency times up in the 300mS range although it isn't all that common.
In terms of distance from London, well 38 miles from Piccadilly doesn't seem that far! [I'm in SW Bedfordshire] Yet it sometimes feels like I've seen Ravens give a faster service (as in Game of Thrones!).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to