General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Tue 30-May-17 20:15:59
Print Post

TBBmeter

[link to this post]

I run Windows 10 Pro 64bit fully updated with .Net Framework 4 fully patched.
All driver are up to date, I run off the following hardware:
AMD 8-7600 R7, clocked at 3.9ghz, 8GB Corsair DDR3 ram, Radeon R9 200 series with 3GB GDDR 5 ram, 256gb SSD, 1x 750gb WDD, 1x 500gb Samsung HDD, 7 120mm cooling fans, 800 watt Silver PSU.

I installed tbbmeter and it runs like the final app loaded and running on a smartphone of pre-2008. It takes approx 30 seconds just to load the icon screen, another 30 seconds to load the graph, click the register menu, another 45 seconds before that appears. Try typing anything and it seems to register 2-3 key presses at any one time. Once I was able to enter my login details, and clicked the validate key, another 60 seconds before it says Opps, there was an error.

When I ran my resources programme to see what it is actually doing, it is doing nothing, Maximum CPU time was <1%, no network usage, Disc or Ram was detected. I tried using compatibility mode with Win7, no change. Tried reinstalling it giving Admin privileges, still the same.

What is causing this to load and run soooo slowly?

The only way to close it down is using Task Manager. The registration window constantly pops up despite my attempts to register, and or clicking 'remind me in like 10 years'.

Other programmes I've used that behaved this way, were written for Vista 32bit.

Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet many cannot afford. AWM 2003
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-May-17 20:31:08
Print Post

Re: TBBmeter

[re: AWM_Mars] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/tbbmeter-question...

Why some features are not working i.e. registration

As for age of software development started in 2007, live 2008. Would have loved to have released Windows 8, followed by Windows 10 versions but the time involved meant that full rewrites were not feasible.

Windows 10 itself also has a good chunk of what people used tbbMeter was used for, i.e. Microsoft removed some of the merit in investing many hours development work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Wed 31-May-17 07:47:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the response.

Windows 10 will be with us all for the foreseeable future and unlike previous versions, will only become updated not moved to yet another version. It is perhaps one of the only merits of using windows as a platform now, after investing so much money into their growth.

Writing a programme for Windows 10 is a sound investment of resources. I hope you reconsider.

I have used thinkbroadband for some years now and I use it as a benchmark for my connection against all others. This is why I downloaded your programme as a trusted tool.

Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet many cannot afford. AWM 2003

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-May-17 08:55:38
Print Post

It is unlikely that we will have the resources (staff and time) to revamp from the ground up a new Windows 10 version, and with OSX being more common we would be asked to also do that version.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Wed 31-May-17 09:21:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OSX?? I'm not sure where your information/stats come from but that OS is all but dead both privately and commercially.

Sad you do not have the resources, aren't you funded by the advertising on the site? Maybe you can gain revenue from advertising within the programme, unless paid for, standard business plan these days.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-May-17 11:05:37
Print Post

How is OSX dead? Apple I believe is still gaining market share so OSX is becoming more popular, not less.
Standard User AWM_Mars
(newbie) Wed 31-May-17 11:19:59
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Seriously??

OS share market
ExtremeTech Stats
Business Insider
9to5 Mac

The iPhone products has been its saving grace and gives it the share value and business gains.

The urls above are just so easy to get from Google and the results number in the 100,000's perhaps you can find some that support your comment?

Standard User JJF1312
(newbie) Wed 28-Jun-17 19:57:48
Print Post

Hi,
Have the same problem but found a way around it.
I disable the network adapter in Device Manager then load TBB meter which starts within seconds and then restart the network adapter.
Hope this helps
  Print Thread

Jump to