General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Seavingtonlad
(newbie) Tue 01-May-18 17:24:56
Print Post

Upload Speeds

[link to this post]

I find that the TBB Speed Test meter gives a download speed that is consistent with other testers and, as expected, slightly below my recorded sybc speed.
However, the upload speed shown by the speed tester is only one third opf that given by other speed testers eg Ookla or my sybc speed.
Is this due to the measurement method used by TBB or is there another reason for the discrepancy?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-May-18 17:47:20
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds

[re: Seavingtonlad] [link to this post]

http://tbb.st/1525163554137410655

Is that your test?

Suggests download sync around the full 40 Mbps which probably is the up to 38 Mbps Vodafone service which has a 10 Mbps upload sync speed maximum (best throughput 9 to 9.5 Mbps), so the 6.8 Mbps upload speed from the test looks reasonable.

If the upload speeds are three times that 6.8 Mbps, then you are outside what is possible with VDSL2 even if on top of the cabinet and thus the big numbers from others may be a mistake from them.

If that is not your test result, then post a link to the results and can look at it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seavingtonlad
(newbie) Tue 01-May-18 19:17:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, that was my test this morning. I am in fact on Vodafone'd "up to 75 Mbps" service with the Openreach cabinet 300 or so yards away.

Whilst the TBB meter gave these readings speedtest.net (Ookla) gave 37.7 down and 11.5 upload speeds. My sync was 38.3 and 12.8 so there is a curious difference between the TBB meter, sybc and Ookla which I would like to understand.

At the same time Vodafone's helpline tells me that my download should be in the 50 mbps area although their minumum gaurantee is 40. THey are flailing aroun the interface with Openreach to try and resolve matters but no one seems to understand the problem.

Grateful for any advice re both the upload discrepacies and the more general problem.

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-May-18 00:30:20
Print Post

[re: Seavingtonlad] [link to this post]

I would say there are some throughput issues that Vodafone may need to address i.e. see how the upload fell away

The 37.7 down on a 38.3 sync looks suspect, i.e. over reading and possibly so with the upload too, so combine their optimism against our more pessimistic i.e. median rather than a top quartile type figure and the figures come closer

The sync may be low if you've only just connected if extra boosts like G.INP and low target noise margin have not been added to the line yet by DLM (assuming a Huawei cabinet)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to