General Discussion
  >> tbbMeter Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrSteve
(regular) Tue 06-Nov-18 00:16:54
Print Post

A little help understanding speed test results

[link to this post]

I have been running speed tests since upgrading to FTTP 330/50 through Zen and I'm seeing an ongoing pattern.

My Broadband Speed Test

In addition the graphical result on the x6 shows the speed to be much better at the start then falling away gradually. Other user's tests seem to show the speed shoot up quickly and then palteau for the duration of the test. The upload speed also varies widely during the test.
I'm interested to find out what this pattern would indicate. Possibe congestion? Zen are saying that as the line will burst up to nearly 300 then it's in spec. Should I be expecting the TBB speed tester to be capable of 300mbps on a single thread?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-18 09:47:43
Print Post

Re: A little help understanding speed test results

[re: DrSteve] [link to this post]

http://tbb.st/1539989423201937955 Others can manage it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DrSteve
(regular) Tue 06-Nov-18 11:36:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Great. Thanks. Those are sort of speeds I was expecting on the line. I'm getting similar results on the Zen test page which also uses the TTB test. ISP are telling me that the line seems to be fine since it will burst to higher speeds but I can't understand how speed tests as low as 50mbps on a single thread can be normal on a 330mbps line. That's with a direct connection to the ONT.
Where should I be looking for the problem - ISP or BT network?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-18 12:13:20
Print Post

Things like MTU may be impacting you, but this behaviour does seem to affect some on G.fast/FTTP due to the wholesale networks not always behaving

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Nov-18 16:14:14
Print Post

Apart from "tests" is it affecting your day to day use for browsing, downloading, streaming, etc?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User DrSteve
(regular) Tue 06-Nov-18 16:28:37
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In some circumstances it is. Streaming and surfing are fine. Kids very happy with gaming and ping times. Where I do notice of is when downloading. In a single threaded download (recently downloaded Windows 10) I'm not seeing more than 70-80mbps. Same with the large test file from this site. Not getting close to the line speed. I assume I should be getting more than 80mbps on a test file from TBB.
Standard User DrSteve
(regular) Tue 06-Nov-18 20:15:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Things like MTU may be impacting you, but this behaviour does seem to affect some on G.fast/FTTP due to the wholesale networks not always behaving

I'm runnig an edgreouter with an MTU of 1500 on the LAN but with MSS clamping limiting the MSS to 1452 and MTU of 1492 on the PPPoE interface. Should be ok as far as I can tell.
Any idea how to proceed with getting the wholesale network to play ball? smile Zen seem stumped!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-18 21:26:58
Print Post

If you are 100% sure its not your kit, and easy to miss a setting on complex routers then its over to Zen

Standard User DrSteve
(regular) Tue 06-Nov-18 22:53:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you are 100% sure its not your kit, and easy to miss a setting on complex routers then its over to Zen

Well I think I've excluded issues here. I've tried my router, Zen's router, no router, windows, OSX, Ubuntu, Macbook, PC, Firefox, Chrome, Ipv4 and IPv6 smile
Thanks for the advice.
  Print Thread

Jump to