Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
  Print Thread
Standard User edweb
(newbie) Fri 12-Jan-07 11:58:06
Print Post

Ever decreasing MTU

[link to this post]

I have been getting the problem of my MTU value having to be decreased, every now & again my browser won't open any pages so I check the ping value using the 'ping -f -l #### 192.168.1.1' I am now having to set the value to 700 to get a ping response that doesn't fragment the packets. I am running on W2K through a Draytek vigor 2600 router, I have 2 other PC's on the same router so I know the problem must be on the PC & probably a registry entry. Does anybody know what I can do to to remove any rouge entries from my registry which effect the MTU?
Standard User themidgieman
(committed) Fri 12-Jan-07 15:31:13
Print Post

Re: Ever decreasing MTU

[re: edweb] [link to this post]

In answer to the general PC question I use Registry Mechanic and it's a brilliant program (
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-07 15:57:19
Print Post

Try using the 'Tweak Test' on this site to diagnose/recommend settings.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Then use 'Doctor TCP' - download from the same page - to change your settings to those advised.

Happiness is ZeN - Active 8000

ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User edweb
(newbie) Fri 12-Jan-07 16:32:20
Print Post

[re: Gypsydog] [link to this post]

I think I may have found the problem, I was using DRtcp & also DSLreports to try & find the problem. I found that to reset to the default values just set everything in DRtcp to blank then reboot. I did this & I can now ping at 1472. It seems that DRtcp was causing the problem probably there were other settings that were conflicting. What I need now is a way of checking what MTU setting I am actually using. I do have a copy of System Mechanic I will have a look to see if that can help.

Ed
Standard User E7er
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-07 19:28:47
Print Post

I prefer to find the MTU this way,
Finding the largest MTU by EXPERIMENT version 2

First reset windows with Dr TCP to MTU 1500.
Then reset modem/router to MTU 1500 save it, reboot PC and modem/router.

Next from windows, go to Start/Run and type in, cmd (click OK)
At the MSDOS-PROMPT type,

ping -f -l 1472 www.bbc.co.uk

Then reduce 1472 by 10 until you no longer get the "packet needs to be fragmented" error message or

http://www.ezeedsl.co.uk
ezeeDSL 2Mbps unlimited-uncapped-unmetered with static IP address
3Com 3CRWDR100A-72-UK ADSL2/2+ modem/router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset
Downstream actual speed 1925Kbps
Upstream actual speed 246Kbps
Standard User edweb
(newbie) Fri 12-Jan-07 20:26:49
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

This is what I had done, the problem was the MTU would every so often decrease?? Sometimes I could check it & increase it back, all the time I was using DRtcp to change it. Lately though I was unable to open any webpages without checking the MTU using 'ping -f -l .....' then set it using DRtcp. Now I've wiped all the settings from DRtcp - saved then rebooted I can now 'ping -f -l .....' at 1472. I don't know what was happening but DRtcp seemed to be causing the problem, I was having to set the MTU to 700 before I could get it not to fragment. I would like to find out though how I can check what my MTU is now set to, I'm sure I used to have a dos comand for checking this & also changing it but I can't remember what it was.

Ed
Standard User themidgieman
(experienced) Thu 08-Feb-07 12:31:32
Print Post

[re: themidgieman] [link to this post]

Sorry to drag back this old thread. Just found out that pctools via element 5 may have set up an annual cca for this product, whereas I made a one-off purchase. In the light of that I withdraw my recommendation for this product, apologies to anyone who may have been inconvenienced by my recommedation

Edited by themidgieman (Thu 08-Feb-07 12:55:37)

Print Thread

Jump to