Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bezuk
(member) Mon 04-May-09 11:23:45
Print Post

Master socket extension wiring

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Recently moved into a new flat - a new build which had never had BT service before. A master socket (newest type with the Openreach logo) is present in a cupboard with the electricity box and other utilities. There are also 3 extension sockets in various places around the apartment. The developer warned me that while the wiring is in the walls BT will need to connect the extensions to the master socket but I forgot to ask them to do so when they enabled the line so I'm now looking at doing it myself.

I've taken a photo of the master socket here but it was quite hard to take due to the small cupboard the socket is in.

Simple quesiton really - which of the exposed wires, if any, should I connect to which terminals on the master socket front plate to get the extension sockets to work?

As a side note the DSL (Be ADSL2+) running on the line, while decent for a very short line, is a fair bit below average for the attenuation so I'm wondering if there's anything else wrong with the wiring in that socket - can't see anything obvious though and the DSL is connected to the test socket so there's probably nothing I can do.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but most of the phone wiring threads seem to be in here.

Thanks

-------------------
Be Unlimited 4100 / 1130 on a very long 61dB line and
22503 / 2589 on a much better 22dB line
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-May-09 11:34:23
Print Post

Re: Master socket extension wiring

[re: bezuk] [link to this post]

If they have followed the colour conventions then the blue and white should go to #2 and #5 and the orang will be the ring wire which would normally go to #3 - as you say this is the latest BT socket there should be a choke in the rignwire circuit so connecting it should do no harm but it will pay to check the stats before and after to check that - recheck after dark.

Confirm the colours used by checking inside the nearest extension. As you only have one set at the master I assume they will be daisy chained on to each other so two will have cable in and out.

There is unlikley to be anythng wrong with the wiring done by BT which would affect the attenuation.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-May-09 11:38:31
Print Post

To keep the terminations as per the expected colour code, blue to position 2, white/blue to position 5, and the orange to position 3. The NTE appears to be Openreach logo'd , so it will have the bell filter choke in it already. In my experience, the builders wont have terminated the cables in the extensions either, so this would be worth checking also .... if they have, see what colours they have terminated, and follow suit or adjust accordingly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bezuk
(member) Mon 04-May-09 12:10:49
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have tried to get into one of the extensions to have a look but they are all a very recessed type which seem to be almost painted onto the walls - even when unscrewed the plate does not want to come off and I've not tried too hard to avoid damaging my walls.

I will probably have to risk it to have a look at the wiring or indeed connect the extensions too if the builders didn't - which would be annoying as I have heavy furniture in the way of two of the sockets!

Just to clarify, I seem to have four wires coming out of the master - a blue one and a white one twisted together and separately an orange one and a white one twisted together - is that right? sorry for the confusion, I've never done this before.

Re: my DSL comment - the attenuation is fine (16 dB), it's just the "bits per tone" seems to be lower across the board than I'd expect at this attenuation.

Mark

-------------------
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-May-09 12:16:29
Print Post

The builders have fitted what ever they saw fit to pass muster for extension wiring. Keeping the pairs together is the important thing.
I would emphasize the importance of completely removing a extension to see whats going on inside. This is, after all, your wiring, and you can balls it up all you want. smile

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-May-09 12:17:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by bezuk:
Just to clarify, I seem to have four wires coming out of the master - a blue one and a white one twisted together and separately an orange one and a white one twisted together - is that right?

Yes; if you look a little closer you'll see the white cables actually have a small blue band or stripe (for the one twisted with the blue cable - which will probably have a small white band or stripe), and a small orange band or stripe (for the one twisted with the orange cable).

The blue & white twisted pair cables are usually referred to as blue/white (for the mostly blue cable core) and white/blue (for the mostly white cable core).
The orange pair cables are usually referred to as orange/white and white/orange.

Take the colour connections from Zarjaz's post, but it's worth checking to see if the builders haven't connected the wrong pair (it should be blue/white and white/blue into connections 2 & 5), or not connected the extension sockets at all.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync Blimey....4707kbps now!
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User bezuk
(member) Mon 04-May-09 12:51:06
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Right, so I forced my way into the extension and found this:

each of the 6 terminals on the back of the extension has two wires going to it, both the same colour, as follows (I can make out the stripes on the white wires now, thanks for that adebov)

orange to 3 and white/orange to 4
green to 2 and white/green to 5
blue to 1 and white/blue to 6

I've taken another photo but sadly I gave back the decent camera I borrowed to take the first pic yesterday and the iPhone camera reduces it to a blurry mess.

Quite honestly I'm not sure what to make of this - didn't expect to find so many wires back there.

-------------------
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-May-09 13:56:55
Print Post

Sounds like the work of your average "quality" electrician wink.

As Zarjaz has said; you only need three cores.
Even though the electricians have the wrong colours going into 1, 2, 5 & 6; that doesn't really matter too much (if they're the same on all sockets - You must check this), it just doesn't follow the standard convention.
So; you need to connect (to the faceplate of your master socket);
Green to 2
Orange to 3
White/orange to 4 (although this isn't connected inside the socket, but many electricians will connect it either for neatness, or because they think it does something).
White/green to 5
Leave the blues disconnected.
Or.....Go round all extension sockets (swapping the greens & blues), and use the blue & white/blue in the master, so they're connected properly.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync Blimey....4707kbps now!
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User chronicles
(newbie) Mon 04-May-09 14:27:23
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:

Sounds like the work of your average "quality" electrician wink.

As Zarjaz has said; you only need three cores.
Even though the electricians have the wrong colours going into 1, 2, 5 & 6; that doesn't really matter too much (if they're the same on all sockets - You must check this), it just doesn't follow the standard convention.
So; you need to connect (to the faceplate of your master socket);
Green to 2
Orange to 3
White/orange to 4 (although this isn't connected inside the socket, but many electricians will connect it either for neatness, or because they think it does something).
White/green to 5
Leave the blues disconnected.
Or.....Go round all extension sockets (swapping the greens & blues), and use the blue & white/blue in the master, so they're connected properly.

A big meal of it. Rather than worry about which 3 zarjaz said, just connect all 6 cores on the NTE5 frontplate exactly according to the convention already discovered in the extension socket. Less to go wrong doing that way.

Even though the electricians have the wrong colours going into 1, 2, 5 & 6; that doesn't really matter too much (if they're the same on all sockets - You must check this), it just doesn't follow the standard convention

It does matter, very much. The requirement is that pairs are respected: 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 [pins nos add to 7] which seems to be the case here

Edited by chronicles (Mon 04-May-09 14:30:40)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-May-09 16:01:29
Print Post

[re: chronicles] [link to this post]

A big meal of it. Rather than worry about which 3 zarjaz said, just connect all 6 cores on the NTE5 frontplate

...... shame theres only four IDC points on the OP's frontplate .....

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to