Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Flip74
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-09 01:32:44
Print Post

Noisy line and loss of sync (HR Dis?)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here I could help with a problem I'm having with my broadband.

I'm on ADSL Max 8Mb and usually my speedtest results were around 5Mbps, but a couple of weeks ago my router (Netgear DG834G) lost sync overnight. When sync finally did come back a bit later I was only able to obtain a speedtest of 160kbps!

I tried replacing my ADSL Nation XTE-2005 for a couple of microfilters which made no difference
neither did a change of cables, connected to the test socket on the NTE-5 again making no difference. A change of Router (Origo plus 4) and modem (Speedtouch 330) also made no difference.

I don't usually bother with a telephone on this line so had to borrow one, which showed that when the handset was lifted, the router/modem would lose sync until either the handset was left off for a bit or was replaced. Also through the handset I could hear what sounds like data (squeal/hiss) when the router has synced up.

The phone when plugged into the test socket,or into a filter without a router is clear which led me to believe this is a HR Dis fault.

Anyway, Openreach came out this morning and after about half an hour said that it wasn't a HR Dis but was a faulty faceplate that was causing the problem, which I find hard to believe because it's a brand new XTE-2005 which I received a couple of days before.

I don't really have a good idea what tests were done, sync initially increased to ~ 5Mbps throughput was still at 160kbps or less and the noise remained in the handset. I'm also convinced he didn't check the quality of the wiring at the demarcation point.

Over the next week, sync varied before settling at 5632 kbps and a throughput of 4500 kbps. Quite a difference!

This was OK until a couple of days ago when we had a pretty bad storm and now the original symptoms are back. i.e. noise in handset when router is connected and sync again dropped to 160 kbps.

Again, filters have been swapped – no change.

Any advice what to mention to BT would be great as I'm still convinced it could be a HR Dis.

I'm also convinced things get worse after bad weather.

Help!

Phill.
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jul-09 12:39:17
Print Post

Re: Noisy line and loss of sync (HR Dis?)

[re: Flip74] [link to this post]

Seeing as how you have tried a microfilter in the test socket it can't be the faceplate, I would complain to BT that they wrongly diagnosed your problem and explain you have tried alternative filters that proves they are wrong.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User benbird7
(member) Wed 15-Jul-09 15:47:44
Print Post

Can you get LLU at your exchange? Sounds like BT profiling making your line go up the shoot.

If you can go over to LLU may be prudent?

Regards,

Ben Bird

VIVACITI
4.5km from Exchange
60DB Downsteam Att.
Speedtest.net
Speed.io

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-09 16:17:27
Print Post

Might it be worth trying another router for elimination purposes???

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User b4dger
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-09 17:34:33
Print Post

After reading your post I'm not sure if you are aware of how ADSL MAX works - apologies if you are!

If you have had a 'low sync event' then your IP Profile will reduce.
If you then sync higher then it can be 'up to' 5 days before your normal speeds return.

I can recommend RouterStats(free s/w) to monitor your connection!

After the storm what are you currently syncing/connecting at?
NB. This isn't the same as a 'speedtest' that you initially mention in your post as your IP Profile will most likely have changed.

-------------------------------------------
Freeola[EntaNet]
Hmmm...
SNR: Netgear DG834>2Wire 2700>Thomson ST585v6 My Router Experience
Standard User Flip74
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-09 20:12:21
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Hi and thank you for the replies.

I received an automated call from BT this morning with the results of the line test, which was all clear. Typical!

I'd left the telephone connected direct to the test socket overnight should by any chance someone was coming to check things and noticed that there was a very faint crackle in the handset. We've had crappy weather here again too.

I'd also taken receipt this morning of another XTE2005 as well as a new twisted pair ADSL cable, which I installed so I could check the stats which were showing a sync of 160 kbps. The screeching noise was also present in the handset as before whilst the router is connected.

Anyway, after trying another router (one I'd tried originally and got the same results) this time it synced at around 5 Mbps and the noise had gone in the handset! After a few moments of cursing in case the DG834G was faulty, I reconnected the DG834G and now this synced at around 5.5 Mbps with no (or very little) noise in the handset.

I understand about the sync not being the same as throughput and that my IP profile will take a hit whilst I have to leave things settle for a while. It's just weird that the sync varies from between 160kbps and around 5 Mbps, especially as the weather has now perked up a bit!

I'd just downloaded router stats yesterday and run it for a couple of hours to get some idea as to what was going on, which showed fluctuations of SNR between 12 dB to 6 dB. Sync was constant at 160 kbps. I shall plot it again later!

Thanks again for the replies,

Phill
Standard User Flip74
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-09 14:58:12
Print Post

Just a little update.

This morning, I have the problem back again (loss of sync, noise through handset etc.)which was the same as before.

Luckily, I left Router Stats running overnight and this has captured the point where sync was lost at 11:08 am.

A selection of the results are below (I'd been running it since 00:50 this morning without event):

Started: Thu 16 Jul 2009 00:50

11:07:07 Rx-Noise= 13 Tx-Noise= 27 Rx-Sync= 5440 Tx-Sync= 448
11:07:27 Rx-Noise= 13 Tx-Noise= 27 Rx-Sync= 5440 Tx-Sync= 448
11:07:47 Rx-Noise= 13 Tx-Noise= 27 Rx-Sync= 5440 Tx-Sync= 448
11:08:07 Rx-Noise= 13 Tx-Noise= 27 Rx-Sync= 5440 Tx-Sync= 448
11:08:27 Rx-Noise= 21474836 Tx-Noise= 27 Rx-Sync= 0 Tx-Sync= 0
11:08:47 Rx-Noise= 27 Tx-Noise= 22 Rx-Sync= 224 Tx-Sync= 448
11:09:07 Rx-Noise= 0 Tx-Noise= 22 Rx-Sync= 224 Tx-Sync= 448
11:09:27 Rx-Noise= 0 Tx-Noise= 0 Rx-Sync= 0 Tx-Sync= 0
11:09:47 Rx-Noise= 0 Tx-Noise= 0 Rx-Sync= 0 Tx-Sync= 0
11:10:07 Rx-Noise= 0 Tx-Noise= 0 Rx-Sync= 0 Tx-Sync= 0

As can be seen, sync is lost at 11:08:27, when the Rx-Noise reaches 21 Million dBs!

Apparently at this time, the it was quite windy but no rain as far as I know.

I've got no idea how to proceed with getting this problem sorted, as it looks like it's an intermittent fault.

I've tried my Origo router again and this is not syncing (well it did once until the handset was lifted).

Phill
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jul-09 07:53:45
Print Post

to me there is a fault on the line of some sort. Whether or not its HR I couldnt say.

Your experience of the engineer visit reminds me of the same, I have had engineers telling me a hissing phone is normal quality etc. so (some of them at least) they do seem to need to be pushed.

As I understand it a HR fault is to do with poor joints and especially wet getting in the joints? so it occuring again after a storm would then make sense.

There is remote tests that can be done which help show up a HR fault but I cannot remember the name of these tests sorry.
Standard User jeffbb
(member) Fri 17-Jul-09 20:59:25
Print Post

Hi
quote can be seen, sync is lost at 11:08:27, when the Rx-Noise reaches 21 Million dBs!

shows the SNR margin has gone to <0 db some routers cannot display -tive figures .
Regards Jeff
Standard User Flip74
(newbie) Sat 18-Jul-09 11:12:33
Print Post

[re: jeffbb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jeffbb:
Hi
quote can be seen, sync is lost at 11:08:27, when the Rx-Noise reaches 21 Million dBs!

shows the SNR margin has gone to <0 db some routers cannot display -tive figures .
Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That makes sense. I remember seeing some huge number in the DG834 stats page & a google search confirms that the DG834 is one of these routers that doesn't list <0 dBs properly.

Phill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to