Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BernieSteak
(newbie) Wed 17-Mar-10 07:20:25
Print Post

DECT phone noise ONLY when microfilter involved?

[link to this post]

I've been going mad, and I call upon the forum to please help me, before I go over the edge! The problem we have is annoying, makes the phone unuasable, and all the regular paths have been explored as far as I can tell.

We've had O2 "business" broadband for quite a while now. We have a new home, and I removed the bellwire early on to improve ADSL reception. When we moved in and dug out our very old DECT phones, they were rubbish. Noisy, feint voice, just terrible. So we ditched them and put in our regular old phone...

More recently we tried some brand new DECT phones. Panasonic and AN Other brand I can't recall.

When the DECT phone is plugged into the wall socked, any wall socket (we have the master and one extension) the line is fine.

When we plug the phone into a microfilter, regardless of brand (I shelled out on a new XF-1e as apparently they do amazing things) we get a great deal of line noise, and the phone is extremely quiet. Unusably quiet voices, and unbearably loud "noise" (hiss).

Now, this happens even if we disconnect and switch off the modem and all other wireless enabled products in the house.

No microfilter, perfect, microfilter, unusable.

Our regular old plug in BT phone works whatever the microfilter situation.

It seems that the microfilter(s) cause the noise, but six (yes, six) microfilters, including a brand new one, cannot be faulty. Where do I go from here?!

Edited by BernieSteak (Wed 17-Mar-10 07:29:56)

Standard User tommy45
(member) Wed 17-Mar-10 07:31:36
Print Post

Re: DECT phone noise ONLY when microfilter involved?

[re: BernieSteak] [link to this post]

Have you tried whilst plugged into the test socket inside the bt master socket?
As you have not said that you already have done, i would advise you to if you have not, just to rule out the faceplate and the internal wiring ,
2,If there is no change try the same again, but using a corded phone,
let us know how you get on

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 17-Mar-10 07:43:13)

(newbie) Wed 17-Mar-10 08:00:08
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

We don't actually have a master BT socket (as in the proper BT faceplate) but I have connected it at the first socket in the house (non-brand BT "master" socket with no test socket) and at that point also disconnected the extension lead. The result was the same using this socket as the extension socket upstairs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Mar-10 08:43:52
Print Post

That the old analogue wireless phones were dire is no surprise so let's just rule them out.

You say you have tried 6 different filters so that pretty much eliminates the filters as being faulty.

You have tried with the modem/router disconnected and turned off.

So imo the only thing remaining which could be to blame is your nice new DECT phone. Can you borrow a different one to try? If not then Argos sell them and offer a no quibble money back guarantee if you decide you don't want what you bought.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Mar-10 09:50:44
Print Post

Tried talking to ADSLNation, they have in the past being fairly good at knowing what the oddities people have come across are.

Also try taking a filter and the phone to someone elses home, and if they work there, then probably something odd with your wiring

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 17-Mar-10 11:01:33
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I should have mentioned I have tried with another DECT handset which was purchased last year, just cant recall the brand. Same issue.

It's just totally baffling the line is clear without a filter, noisy with one. And then only with DECT.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Mar-10 11:08:16
Print Post

Have you tried double-filtering the phone?

John.

ISP:Be*
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 17-Mar-10 11:10:00
Print Post

Are you sure it is a Master? As it is no branded - probably not BT then it may not be a real master. Is there a hidden master somewhere else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Wed 17-Mar-10 12:34:17
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

I have tried double, triple, even daisy chaining all the damned things together out of pure frustration.

No noticeable difference.
(newbie) Wed 17-Mar-10 12:35:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yep. We have a slightly unusual home and I can remove the outer wall skins, it comes straight from the drop in cable to this master socket.

It didn't at first, the drop in cable (big black beast of a cable) used to stop outside and had an extension lead wired to it into the master socket.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to