Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(regular) Mon 22-Nov-10 22:33:04
Print Post

Uploading to YouTube problem.

[link to this post]

Losing connection at about 50% completed when uploading files of 100MB and larger to YouTube at any time of day using adsl max - however no problem uploading to SkyDrive or FTP. Also no problem when uploading the same files from the same pc/anti-virus/firewall with a 3g '3' modem to YouTube.

Called Plusnet and tech support suggested turning off anti-virus/firewall during the upload to YouTube, very reluctant to do that - could just be a port issue with Kaspersky IS 2011's firewall, ISP and YouTube...

Any ideas?

Cheers 4M2.

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 22-Nov-10 22:44:37)

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Nov-10 22:43:55
Print Post

Re: Uploading to YouTube problem.

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Turn off av/firewall as suggested. You can turn it back on when you've found out if it's causing a problem.

_____________________________________________________________________more unwritten rules than posts_________
Standard User 4M2
(regular) Mon 22-Nov-10 22:57:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks BatBoy,

Guess you reckon it's OK to connect to YT with only one browser window open for maybe up to an hour with no av or firewall protection - files of less than 50MB upload without any problem, it's the 100MB files that often need 3 or 4 attempts over adsl.

I would use the 3g modem for all uploads to YT at ~1500kbps but it's a bit expensive to run frown

Cheers 4M2.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Nov-10 23:01:17
Print Post

Why not? I assume you've got a NAT firewall by default anyway. What service would you think a hacker would connect to on your PC?

_____________________________________________________________________more unwritten rules than posts_________
Standard User 4M2
(regular) Mon 22-Nov-10 23:10:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yep, I've got the firewall set as "standard" in the TG585 v7 but it will still allow incoming traffic during an upload...
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Nov-10 23:15:32
Print Post

Which incoming traffic are you expecting to be allowed past the TG585 firewall.

The only incoming traffic it should allow is responses to outgoing traffic. (unless you have opened lots of ports).

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 22-Nov-10 23:31:29
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Sandgrounder,

Not sure about the incoming traffic thing - only port I've opened is wlan in the Kaspersky firewall - but that of course is not a router issue, other than I have wireless enabled (networked to another pc sometimes) when uploading to YT...
Standard User 4M2
(member) Sat 15-Jan-11 11:48:00
Print Post

Still having a problem with uploading - in fact it's got worse: can not upload ~30MB files to even SkyDrive, Yahoo Drive etc. now. However download speeds are good according to the BT tester and I don't have any failed/timeout downloads. Tried everything: turned Kaspersky off, etc. etc. Yet I can upload 250MB+ video files from the same pc with Kaspersky enabled using a '3' 3g modem.

Just raised a ticket with plusnet and their initial response is to ask for interleaving to be turned on...
  Print Thread

Jump to