Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sun 02-Jan-11 12:48:22
Print Post

IP Profile Recovery Time

[link to this post]

A while ago my router resynced overnight at 2000 kbps (approximately), by the time I noticed the IP profile was set to 1750 kpbs. I rebooted it and it connected at 3968 kbps where it has stayed without a resync for the last 142 hours. (Almost 6 days, which in itself is quite a record for my dodgy line!)

So how long until the stupid profiling lets me have some more speed? I thought it was supposed to be max 5 days? Time to bug my ISP? (They must be sick of me.)

21CN connection.

John.
----------------------------------------- Support the campaign for fairer votes! ---
* Labour? * Tory? * Lib Dem? * Green? * Official Yes Campaign * Take Back Parliament *
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jan-11 13:35:05
Print Post

Re: IP Profile Recovery Time

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

5 days should be the maximum wait - that's assuming you haven't had any low sync events in between.

Restarting the router can give things a kick...

Standard User Sark
(legend) Sun 02-Jan-11 13:53:54
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks! It did. I rebooted the router and IP profile now showing as 2500 Kbps. (Current sync is 3776 kbps so ought to be 3000 Kbps really?). At least I now know that IP profile changes need a resync to take effect.

Thanks again.

John.
----------------------------------------- Support the campaign for fairer votes! ---
* Labour? * Tory? * Lib Dem? * Green? * Official Yes Campaign * Take Back Parliament *

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jan-11 17:17:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sark:
At least I now know that IP profile changes need a resync to take effect.
Glad things have improved for you smile

NB. Normally you don't have to re-sync for your IP Profile to update - only when things have gone awry!

I feel sorry for the millions of people that never monitor their connection! With BT's current DLM rules things only go downwards! frown

EDIT: As you say your profile still isn't correct for your sync...

Edited by b4dger (Sun 02-Jan-11 17:19:40)

Standard User panda
(committed) Sun 02-Jan-11 18:51:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sark:
At least I now know that IP profile changes need a resync to take effect.
You don't neccesarily need to resync, but rather establish a new PPP session - which can be achieved with the 'Disconnect/Reconnect' function of most routers.
The BRAS (which uses the profile) sometimes needs a kick to refresh stale information.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Jan-11 19:02:25
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
I feel sorry for the millions of people that never monitor their connection! With BT's current DLM rules things only go downwards! frown

That's what I often wonder... just how many people out there with stuck IP profiles frown

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jan-11 20:32:27
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Without even having to go into conspiracy theory mode I think it is a safe bet that BT rely on it as one way of limiting overall traffic. Otherwise, I have never seen the point of their profiles at all, whatever excuses they may actually give for needing them.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Jan-11 21:09:49
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jcym:
Without even having to go into conspiracy theory mode I think it is a safe bet that BT rely on it as one way of limiting overall traffic. Otherwise, I have never seen the point of their profiles at all, whatever excuses they may actually give for needing them.

Ditto, that thought has also crossed my mind many times.

(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 22:26:22
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

I have never seen the point of their profiles at all

to dimension the virtual paths provided for each user to their ISP. Apparently this is more efficient than allocating each the maximum of their package, for one thing, and to avoid the ISP pushing more data than the user can receive which itself leads to poor performance.

There is some logic to it, and it would be a conspiracy theory to suggest it is to reduce demand for capacity as the capacity is fixed and not covered by an SLA so there's nothing to gain really.

There's an awful lot more end user capacity out there even with IP profiles than there is ISP capacity to feed them.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Jan-11 13:21:12
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

We've been here before wink but...

Having to wait so long for an increase when the decrease is virtually immediate is a killer for those on variable lines. One low sync and you could be stuffed for days - hardly seems an ideal system.

I'm sure BT could make some improvements to IP Profile and Target SNRM management which would help a lot of people.

Print Thread

Jump to