Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joshwa201
(newbie) Sat 08-Jan-11 16:58:47
Print Post

Quite the conundrum, help and ideas's needed

[link to this post]

Heres the story:

I'm with BT, we have a Homehub 2, the Internet has become painfully slow, getting speeds under 60kb/s at any time of day.
When i called BT they asked me to do a speed test; the test gives a figure of about 750kb/s
Other speed tests give about 500kb/s
Why am I getting real life speeds of dial up, but test results of broadband, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I've trawled google for answers and I cant see anyone with a similar problem.

Cheers in advance, Josh
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 08-Jan-11 17:31:47
Print Post

Re: Quite the conundrum, help and ideas's needed

[re: joshwa201] [link to this post]

Give us a little more information ...

What router/modem are you using. Which OS on the PC and can you get the connection data/stats including attenuation, SNR and sync speed. Are you connected wired or wireless?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User joshwa201
(newbie) Sun 16-Jan-11 16:30:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for replying, the router is BT Homehub 2, we just use wifi at the minute but the speed is the same via ethernet, we have 2 computers, running XP and Vista but the speed is the same when i connect my xbox 360 or iphone as well.
Ive used several speed testers, results are all the same these are the results from BT's:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 576 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :960 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

I could live with these speeds, however as I previously mentioned, the best ive had in the past few weeks is 70kb when downloading, I've tried sereral browsers ect.
I dont know if its worth mentioning but the phone line quality is a bit [censored] as well, people on the other end of the phone struggle to hear us.
Thanks again, Josh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 16-Jan-11 17:10:51
Print Post

what do you mean by "the internet" ?

the speedtesters run over the internet so the connection can clearly pass the traffic,

are you mixing bits and bytes up ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Jan-11 19:00:55
Print Post

If you have issues with the quality of you telephone calls then you need to speak to your voice service provider, DO NOT mention broadband.

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 16-Jan-11 20:14:39
Print Post

Get teh voice side sorted - a few possible problems could cause that. Then if broadband is still slow we can sort that afterwards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User joshwa201
(newbie) Sun 16-Jan-11 21:41:10
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

By the internet, i mean that any use of our broadband is painfully slow, the phone calls arent crackly or anything like that, they are just quite, i didnt know if this could point to something like the line, but its always been the same.

The problem is the test is saying im getting speeds 10 times faster than real world usage, like streaming, downloading files, youtube ect.
The 3g internet on my phone is faster, so because of this i dont have a clue what the problem could be, BT ran a diagnosis and it all came back clean.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i appreciate it massively.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 16-Jan-11 21:47:40
Print Post

there are some download files here as well as the speedtester, could you download a file and run a speedtest then repeat the sequence and post the results (ie 4 results). You might also like to play with the "port 80" option to see if it's the same.

Java speed test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Flash version http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/broadband.html

Files at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/ (stopwatch might help !).

It may be helpful to look at the throughput of your PC network adapter while doing the tests, ctrl/shift/esc in Windows and look at the network tab to see if the throughput is sustained or all over the place.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User joshwa201
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 09:42:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

My Broadband Speed Test
I downloaded the 5mb file, it took 1.29 minutes, the download started transfering at about 7kb/s, and as the download continued it got faster untill 1.29 minutes when it finished it was at 64kb/s.

Should i try a bigger file and see how fast it gets to? the tranfer should start at a much faster speed, and not slowly speed up like it did right?
Cheers, Josh
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 09:52:25
Print Post

5 MBytes = 5000 kBytes/ 89s (1m29s ?) = 56 kBytes/s = 450 kbits/s

try a bigger one, the startup effect of TCP/IP can get slow things down at the beginning.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to