Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NX3
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 08:54:41
Print Post

Since install of BT iPlate line drops...

[link to this post]

I installed a BT iPlate yesterday to try to improve the very slow broadband (we are at almost the maximum distance from the exchange). Now whenever the house phone rings the TalkTalk broadband connection drops outs.

The setup is we have two phone lines into a master socket (BT and TalkTalk). The front socket on the master socket isn't used, the two lines come out the side/back and feed around the house in the walls. All phone sockets in use in the house have ADSL filters installed. On each line we have a different router, again one on BT (for work, Draytek Vigor router) and one on TalkTalk (home use, using the TalkTalk router).

I'd recently replaced the cheap adsl filters with ADSL nation filters and improved connection from 300k to 1mb (daytime) and about 400-500k (evenings).

This was all working until the iPlate was installed, any ideas ? The iplate isn't directly used but on initial install the SNR improved and connection speed.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 08:59:41
Print Post

Re: Since install of BT iPlate line drops...

[re: NX3] [link to this post]

Can you take a photo?

When you look at BT's iPlate it looks as if it's only designed for normal Master Sockets with 1 line - so I'm guessing you've got some type of dual line NTE which probably isn't compatible.

Standard User NX3
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 09:24:35
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

I'll get one.... it looks like a normal NTE5 wall box on the outside. I took the lower section off to connect the iplate, 4 wires into the front part and very little else to see. I don't really understand how the two separate lines work from the master socket but BT did install the extra line. They are just routed discreetly around the house to the extension sockets. One line goes to the 'office' and the other to the hallway for a DECT phone base unit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 11-Jan-11 11:32:43
Print Post

If you're at the limits of reach I would recommend a filtered faceplate instead of the iplate.

http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

As badger says, a look at the install as-is would be a help.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 11:58:10
Print Post

if everything else was left unchanged then perhaps the connection from the iPlate into the master or the faceplate into the iPlate is a bit dodgy ? see if jiggling it around with the screws undone affects things.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 14:18:07
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Could be worth unplugging the router first in case 'jiggling' causes the DLM to raise TSNRM...

Standard User NX3
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 18:15:44
Print Post

Photos from camera phone so not high res but reasonably clear. Not sure it adds much ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57274735@N02/sets/72157...

Thoughts ? TIA

Edited by NX3 (Tue 11-Jan-11 18:18:44)

Standard User NX3
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 18:16:36
Print Post

I did reboot it after the iplate was fitted just incase. It was later in the evening the drop out problems started.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Jan-11 13:01:12
Print Post

I can't see what looks like a normal NTE5 can be correctly 'servicing' two phone lines?!

There only appears to be one TEST socket so I can't see how this can be for two 'correctly wired' lines...

Standard User NX3
(newbie) Wed 12-Jan-11 17:31:31
Print Post

Agreed, its odd to say the least but its what a BT engineer did when the 2nd line was installed. Well iPlate doesn't work with it. As suggested a proper filtered box would be better anyway and get it done properly.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to