Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User parkchap
(newbie) Wed 19-Jan-11 22:40:34
Print Post

At exchange, get/change/cancel ADSL involves?

[link to this post]

I would like to know please how much physical work is involved when a BT line goes through the ADSL stages. Perhaps things are different with the LLU side but take this as being "normal" ISP goings on.

1. I take it there's a "card" or circuit associated with the phone number so does anything get added onto this when ADSL is first set up?

2. If the first ADSL was low speed <8meg what happens about going onto the 20meg or 21CN type of rate or making a change of ISP, any change again of card or cabling?

3. If any physical cards or the like get involved what potential problems might there be, not just about the ADSL but releated to the voice line?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Jan-11 01:15:48
Print Post

Re: At exchange, get/change/cancel ADSL involves?

[re: parkchap] [link to this post]

Are you assuming that "normal ISP" is an IPStream ISP? I don't count that as normal.

2 On LLU they just throw a software switch to remove the cap. Presume BT does similar. Change of ISP obviously results in change of cabling paths.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jan-11 09:21:07
Print Post

[re: parkchap] [link to this post]

1. Nothing changes to the phone side on IP Stream (the old BT Wholesale product 20CN).
2. From a splitter the line is connected to a port on a DSLAM in another room
3. This port is remotely configured for whatever service
4. If moving from IPStream to IPStream no physical work needed (usually)
5. 20CN to 21CN physical work to move to the 21CN hardware in exchange

21CN uses MSAN where both the voice and broadband can terminate

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Thu 20-Jan-11 19:22:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

this is a very rough non technical descritpion

traditional.

a wire is run from the existing pstn port to the dslam in port, then from the dslam out port to the line connection.

llu etc etc where the non bt cp provides dial tone also.

pstn and adsl combined are spat out the llu equipment, a wire is them run to test matrix in, then from test matrix out to line connection.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User parkchap
(newbie) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:03:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thankyou for reply.

With no:5 and un-numbered 6. it seems potential for some problem arising for both voice and adsl. I mean for voice the matter of attributed calls and billing which did show up along with some adsl quirks though now sorted.
  Print Thread

Jump to