Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Timewarped
(member) Tue 25-Jan-11 17:33:13
Print Post

Random Disconnections

[link to this post]

Hi

I've recently changed ISP from an ADSL Max connection to ASDL 2+ (LLU).

My speed has gone up from ~3.6MB to ~8.9MB, however sometimes it randomly disconnects from time to time (e.g. 30 mins of not being able to get a connection, and then it connects again).

I am only 0.6km from the exchange, and myself and my ISP believe its due to old or faulty wiring in my flat. My stats are:-

ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME UP 860000 DOWN 8984000 SNR 10 LOOP ATT 19

Corrected Blocks 0 Uncorrected Blocks 0

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a master socket in my flat and I am trying to get my landlord to rewire it. I am guessing it will be that a new cable will be needed from where the phone line comes into the building to my flat. Does this sound like a correct assumption?

And am I right in thinking that BT/Openreach would only deal with the external line between the exchange and the building? The building is only a block of 12 flats and is a conversion, not a new build.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User Timewarped
(member) Fri 28-Jan-11 17:11:57
Print Post

Re: Random Disconnections

[re: Timewarped] [link to this post]

Could anyone help or point me in the right direction?

The socket I have in my flat is like this

http://i46.tinypic.com/344fw1x.jpg

I know it's not an actual master, but there doesn't seem to be one in the flat. There is a distribution point in the building, a BT sealed box. I've asked building management about the master socket but they don't really have any idea.

What's my best course of action? Getting my ISP to send out Openreach, or should I complain to building management? Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 28-Jan-11 17:24:58
Print Post

it looks like they've used a pair and the right sort of wire. I would imagine the other end is wired into a multiway connector box so there's little scope for improvement that I can see.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Timewarped
(member) Fri 28-Jan-11 17:38:07
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I wonder where the line noise is coming from... before or after the connector box?

It's a very noisy line for the short distance from the exchange and low attenuation.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jan-11 18:58:09
Print Post

Although it's not a BT provided master, the socket in the photo quite probably is. Without looking at the rest of the wiring it's quite possible that there is nothing more that can be done.

Dave
Standard User ffox
(member) Fri 28-Jan-11 19:31:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Timewarped:
My speed has gone up from ~3.6MB to ~8.9MB, however sometimes it randomly disconnects from time to time (e.g. 30 mins of not being able to get a connection, and then it connects again).
Another possibility is REIN. We experienced "random" disconnections in my street which were caused by a faulty brick power supply to a neighbour's monitor. The noise disconnected everybody in the vicinity (including her!) for five minutes plus when she powered the monitor up. The noise level then reduced so everyone could resync, albeit with a high error count until the offending item was switched off.

Xilo C&W LLU, Netgear DG834 PN, St Ives Cambs
Standard User Timewarped
(member) Mon 31-Jan-11 12:21:31
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Although it's not a BT provided master, the socket in the photo quite probably is. Without looking at the rest of the wiring it's quite possible that there is nothing more that can be done.

Thanks. Is it actually possible to get this fixed (Openreach?), or is it a case of the line works and broadband works (to a degree) so I'm stuck with it? e.g. like being at the end of a long line, the internet is not a guaranteed service and you get whatever the line supports.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Jan-11 12:38:25
Print Post

Depends on why there is the gaps of 30 minutes in service.

I presume the ADSL modem is showing NO CONNECTION stats at when this happens? Which is unusual as the modem should adapt its speed right down to something like 160Kbps in the face of large amounts of noise.

It might be some other fault.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Timewarped
(member) Mon 31-Jan-11 13:13:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes it shows "no connection" and tries to connect. What seems to happen is that it connects at random speeds only to be disconnected about 20 seconds later.This goes on for a period of time, until it connects and is stable again.

e.g. connected at 9.5Mb, disconnects, connects at 8.6Mb, disconnects, connects at 16Mb, disconnects, etc, until it stabilises at around 8.6.

I'm on a 16Mb LLU package with my ISP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 31-Jan-11 15:28:25
Print Post

Given the 19db attenuation the normal connection speed looks low, suggesting an issue with the property wiring.

Do you know what the test socket is? And are things more stable when using that.

ADSL2+ is more sensitive to poor wiring than ADSL

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to