Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ttgas
(learned) Tue 08-Feb-11 09:19:50
Print Post

Can a tree trash my ADSL connection?

[link to this post]

Hi

Apologies in advance for the non techie language smile

I have been with my ISP for 4y
My connection has been solid until about 6 months ago when it started dropping out
It is usually in the evenings and now has reached the point where it is unusable from 6-11pm yet is OK during the day

As far as I know nothing has changed in my house or locally

My router logs the drops
Ive spoken to my ADSL provider who can see the drops and say all is well with everything up to my phone line

Now the phone line runs through about 6 of my neighbours trees and bushes and so has to be an obvious contender for the problem

My hesitation is that BT want £130 if they find nothing wrong when I call them out
Surely running my phone line through trees and bushes is the problem isnt it?
As described they are my neighbours not on my land and pruning them will be a major headache and expense
There is no other easy access from the nearest telegraph pole to my house

How is this likely to pan out please?
Im about to call BT and book the appointment but am curious about what they will suggest not to mention if they will charge my £130 if and when they find nothing wrong with my equipment

Many thanks
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Tue 08-Feb-11 09:40:54
Print Post

Re: Can a tree trash my ADSL connection?

[re: ttgas] [link to this post]

Well you may be right and the best thing to do would be to report the problem to your ISP, or if the phone line is noise with normal voice calls, to whoever you pay your line rental to.
The problem with trees is that they grow and in theory BT could clam from the owner of the trees if they have allowed them to damage BT's line (obviously the trees were not a problem when the line was installed and have grown around it) .
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Feb-11 09:59:24
Print Post

[re: ttgas] [link to this post]

£130/£180/£200 the amount varies.

But they say word for word " if they find nothing wrong when I call them out"

The charge is normally levied where no fault is fault on their side of the network, but the fault is found in the wiring you are responsible e.g. your extension wiring, a phone plugged in without a filter etc

The tree/hedge may be a problem, but generally only if the outer insultation has been rubbed off the cable, or a branch is resting on cable and thus causing stress to the joints at the poles.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:23:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

intermittent adsl usually always comes down to cables through trees if they exist.

phone your house from a mob and chat to someone, whilst doing this get a big pole and gently hit the cable from side to side, if the dw is the issue you may be able to hear noise on the call when you strike the cable

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:31:29
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

Isn't that just microphony which all cables exhibit?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:36:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

No. Overhead lines are well packed. If there is noise it will be due to wear on the trees.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:40:50
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by systemx:

No. Overhead lines are well packed. If there is noise it will be due to wear on the trees.
Well if they're packed, I would have thought the effect would be even worse. I'm not convinced this is a valid test. Would BT be convinced?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:46:26
Print Post

Well if they're packed, I would have thought the effect would be even worse. I'm not convinced this is a valid test. Would BT be convinced?

Yes, and you are wrong Microphony is caused by movement of the individual conductors within in a cable, not movement of the whole cable itself. Microphone and signal cables have cotton or other non-conducting packing for this reason.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-Feb-11 22:47:42
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Yes, and you are wrong Microphony is caused by movement of the individual conductors within in a cable, not movement of the whole cable itself. Microphone and signal cables have cotton or other non-conducting packing for this reason.
So you're saying that overhead telephone cables are packed with cotton? This gets stranger and stranger.

I guess as long as BT will accept that "I hit it with a stick" is a vaild fault finding technique, the line will get replaced.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 12-Feb-11 23:29:29
Print Post

So you're saying that overhead telephone cables are packed with cotton? This gets stranger and stranger.

I guess as long as BT will accept that "I hit it with a stick" is a vaild fault finding technique, the line will get replaced.

At no point did I say that overhead telephone lines are packed with cotton, however I was using this as an example of other cables where the cable geometry is impotant to prevent the conductors from moving within in the cable.
Overhead telephone cable is packed with grease to help keep out damp and prevent the conductors from moving within in the cable. If they were as loose as internal phone cable conductors within the cable sheath, they could cause noise as the cable moves in the wind.
Its not a question of "hiting it with a stick" but trying to simulate conditions which may prove the cable is at fault.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to