Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 12-Feb-11 23:36:41
Print Post

Re: Can a tree trash my ADSL connection?

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by systemx:
Its not a question of "hiting it with a stick" but trying to simulate conditions which may prove the cable is at fault.
What I'm saying is that hitting any overhead phone cable with a stick will produce noise on the phone, tree or no tree.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 13-Feb-11 09:10:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by systemx:
Its not a question of "hiting it with a stick" but trying to simulate conditions which may prove the cable is at fault.
What I'm saying is that hitting any overhead phone cable with a stick will produce noise on the phone, tree or no tree.

You have not considered the circumstances under which an overhead phone cable must operate. They are constantly being moved by wind and stress is applied as birds land and take off from them. But in this case the cable runs through some trees which may have worn through the cable insulation as they and the cable move.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 15:57:39
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

'Overhead telephone cable is packed with grease to help keep out damp and prevent the conductors from moving within in the cable. '

Depends which, 'normal' dropwire, pole to house is not grease filled, never has been.

Aerial cable, 10, 20 pair, etc is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 16:00:47
Print Post

'What I'm saying is that hitting any overhead phone cable with a stick will produce noise on the phone, tree or no tree. '

No it won't. If there's an HR fault in the dropwire, it will often highlight the issue, producing the otherwise intermittent crackle. If it's not faulty, it won't. Engineers don't usually use a stick. You tap on the end of the pair, and give the span a firm shake.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Mon 14-Feb-11 23:48:52
Print Post

[re: ttgas] [link to this post]

Remove the detachable part of your master socket, then phone BT and ask them to test your voice phone line. If they find a fault you can then ask them to fix it.

I have had my phone line repaired several times. Most likely the faults are caused by trees pressing on the overhead cables.

Michael Chare
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Thu 24-Feb-11 20:36:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

do it everyday mate.

i have been up poles shaking 20pr aerial cables to try and prove a noise fault, you get some strange looks from people driving by.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User mikkoyan
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 20:55:09
Print Post

There's a clue in the fact that it's worse after 6 pm. After dusk the phone line may be picking up RF interference (usually from medium wave broadcasts and other nearby sources). This could be more pronounced if the phone line is damaged, for instance if one leg of it was not well connected.
If this is the case then the slowing of the broadband would occur after 9 pm in summer but i don't suppose you can wait that long.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Feb-11 21:12:38
Print Post

[re: mikkoyan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikkoyan:
There's a clue in the fact that it's worse after 6 pm. After dusk the phone line may be picking up RF interference (usually from medium wave broadcasts and other nearby sources). This could be more pronounced if the phone line is damaged, for instance if one leg of it was not well connected.
If this is the case then the slowing of the broadband would occur after 9 pm in summer but i don't suppose you can wait that long.
How will hitting the line with a stick help?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 21:37:37
Print Post

you what?

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 26-Feb-11 21:42:05
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andyboygsi:
you what?
Will BT accept a report of hitting a line with a stick as a reason to take action?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to