Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jazzyglobe
(newbie) Mon 14-Feb-11 18:23:14
Print Post

Do my stats look ok??

[link to this post]

Hello everyone

Was hoping you guys would be kind enough to have a quick looskie at my line stats and tell me if all looks well. Currently with O2 on the old legacy package is it O2 standard??? the middle package, cant remember. Also got their home phone service on the unlimited anytime package. Havnt had my letter through yet to notify of price increase. With all the other threads about leaving O2, I am also considering this too on the basis that FTTc is now available. But really not too keen on having any caps on usage. I think i'll just hold out and see how things go over the next few months.

Here are the stats anyway: any thoughts welcomed:

Uptime: 0 days, 22:08:20

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,403 / 13,212

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 360.89 / 3.99

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.4 / 18.6

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.4 / 27.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.2 / 3.6

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 585 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 575,972 / 575,972

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 857 / 141

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 617 / 92
Standard User jazzyglobe
(newbie) Mon 14-Feb-11 18:24:54
Print Post

Re: Do my stats look ok??

[re: jazzyglobe] [link to this post]

Also, does anyone have any user guides for setting up the O2 wireless router as a NAS and external access to this via the web?? Any thoughts pointers greatly appreciated
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 14-Feb-11 18:26:39
Print Post

Stats look fine. Have you tweaked your SNR margin beneath the default 6dB? That would account for the errors you are getting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jazzyglobe
(newbie) Mon 14-Feb-11 18:56:05
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

yea, I got o2 to lower it down to 3db. Does it look like im getting the max from my line??? Should it be any faster??? If I switch from O2 to BE, should i notice any improvement????

And also, what sort of speed would I be hitting if I took out a fibre package??
Standard User Ribble
(newbie) Mon 14-Feb-11 19:00:22
Print Post

To me it looks a little slow for 27.5db, but not drastically, maybe hope to get nearer 15Mbits or so. But if there is nowt wrong with your setup / wiring then nothing much else you can do.
As for fibre, thats a completely different ball game and dependent on the line to the street cabinet , not the exchange
Standard User jazzyglobe
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 12:38:53
Print Post

Just had a text and email through explaining the price increase. New prices are now £13 for BB and £13.25 for the landline unlimited pack. Also, minimum call charges are now 12.8p per call (chargable)??? what the....12.8?? I seriously want to change providers but there isnt anything better out there at the mo is there?? Looking at vermin media, but cant get over the awful pervious experience of speed throttling.
Standard User jazzyglobe
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 12:45:56
Print Post

I had a look at the line where it comes into the porch and into the house last night and could see those staples they used to attatch the wire to the wall going straight through the wire. There is no noise or anything on the line as far as I can tell. I counted 5 staples in all going right through the cable. The line was fitted about 2 years ago. Could this be cauing the 'low' speeds?
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Feb-11 18:30:15
Print Post

Could cause issues if it pierces the insulation and damp gets in or it causes a short to an adjacent leg.

Dave
  Print Thread

Jump to