Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User parkchap
(learned) Mon 21-Feb-11 14:55:53
Print Post

Getting the connection type right, device wizard

[link to this post]

Probably most devices have a 'wizard' setup page for getting online for the first time. They say they'll determine the type of connection and so on and then go on to have you put in required name and password details.

I wonder how good they are at this. We know that the majority of UK providers for ADSL will use parameters like PPPOA, VC-MUX and 0/38 with CHAP authentication.

I presume there's enough 'intelligence' in the device to know when it's negotiating with the exchange gubbins what speed and such is going to be best.

Is there actually the parameters in the exchange gubbins - wrt the ISP or not - to say it is PPPOA, VC-MUX, 0/38?

What might it mean if the 'wizard' comes out with saying PPPOE, LLC instead?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:11:53
Print Post

Re: Getting the connection type right, device wizard

[re: parkchap] [link to this post]

I don't think the modem determines those parameters. Its job is to negotiate the type of ADSL (standard, ADSL2, ADSL2+) and the sync rates. The other parameters need to be set by the user or will be pre-configured by the ISP for modems they supply.
Standard User parkchap
(learned) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:28:35
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

ok ta,

I'm wondering though, as you just said "I think", how much or if any part of the chain before the ISP might have these default ADSL details built-in to be queried - taking it that the ISP end definitely does have.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 21-Feb-11 18:51:37
Print Post

I think these wizards just try different methods in turn until they find one that works, they never seem very quick.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 21-Feb-11 18:53:41
Print Post

I can not remember which one, but 1-2 routers have a 'lets find the adsl settings'. Most rely on you putting in the basic user/password 0/38 pppoa settings for the uk ISP.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to