Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JonathanCassar
(regular) Tue 01-Mar-11 13:23:46
Print Post

Massive speed boost on online check!

[link to this post]

Hi,
I'm on the poplar exchange and have had broadband from 2003
During this time I've had around 800K on ADSL1 and about 2.5/3Mbs with BE's ADSL2

The odd thing is I was checking infinity again as its live now on LNPOP (still cant get it)
I noticed my BT Total speed was estimated at a max of 17MBs. This was always around 3 historically...

So my question is what's changed (or is the estimate just rubbish) I tried to ask BT but they were of no help

Also if I signed up to BT (to get 17MBs) but still only got the 2.5-3 I get now could they enforce the contract?

20% actual speed is hardly an estimate

I tried an address around the corner and that's still 3Mbps...so I suspect the database is rubbish

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'

Edited by JonathanCassar (Tue 01-Mar-11 13:28:10)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-11 15:04:55
Print Post

Re: Massive speed boost on online check!

[re: JonathanCassar] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JonathanCassar:
I noticed my BT Total speed was estimated at a max of 17MBs. This was always around 3 historically... So my question is what's changed?
Probably changed since Sept. 2010 when they introduced 21CN WBC.

But post your current router stats to see how much of that you can really get?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
(regular) Wed 02-Mar-11 12:56:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
But post your current router stats to see how much of that you can really get?

Modemstate : up
Operation Mode : G.992.5 Annex A
Channel Mode : interleaved

Margin [dB] : 15.5 15.5
Attenuation [dB] : 57.0 30.5
OutputPower [dBm] : 17.5 12.0

Intrinsic/Actual Bandwidth %
Upstream : 99
Downstream : 82

Available Bandwidth Cells/s Kbit/s
Downstream : 5448 2310
Upstream : 1745 740

Transfer statistics
Errors
Received FEC : 497521
Received CRC : 1677
Received HEC : 1228
Transmitted FEC : 0
Transmitted CRC : 34719
Transmitted HEC : 13223

Near end failures since reset
Loss of frame: 0 failures
Loss of signal: 0 failures
Loss of power: 0 failures
Errored seconds: 909 seconds
Near end failures last 15 minutes
Loss of frame: 0 seconds
Loss of signal: 0 seconds
Loss of power: 0 seconds
Errored seconds: 0 seconds
Near end failures current day
Errored seconds: 3 seconds
Near end failures previous day
Errored seconds: 63 seconds

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 13:36:09
Print Post

Your line is too long to ever get 17 Meg.

You should get about 3.5 Meg. At the moment you are getting 2.3 Meg, because your NM is very high @ 15.5 dB.

This could indicate you have a wiring problem. Do you have any phone extension sockets? Have you tried to get these figures plugged into the test socket hidden behind the faceplate of the master socket?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
(regular) Wed 02-Mar-11 14:25:14
Print Post

Interestingly If I apply for a new line on my address its back to 3Mbs very strange it still says 17Mbs on my line I have now....

Jonathan Cassar

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 14:34:03
Print Post

It's not interesting it's boring! BT's database of line characteristics is notoriously inaccurate. The only reliable method is from router stats.

(regular) Wed 02-Mar-11 14:55:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Your line is too long to ever get 17 Meg.

You should get about 3.5 Meg. At the moment you are getting 2.3 Meg, because your NM is very high @ 15.5 dB.

This could indicate you have a wiring problem. Do you have any phone extension sockets? Have you tried to get these figures plugged into the test socket hidden behind the faceplate of the master socket?

Nope its connected directly to the test socket

Be did say its on a stability profile - TBH I never thought I'd get 17Mbs just curious as to how BT think I can - The sales staff were adamant i would get this too!

They did not agree when I said I think this is wrong!!
They said we have upgraded your network…
My flat hasn’t moved so unless theres a new exchange I couldn’t see how they could offer that speed on ADSL2

Jonathan Cassar

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 15:11:05
Print Post

Ask Be to reduce your NM to 9 or even 6 dB, or, I think, you can do it in an online control panel.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Mar-11 16:26:38
Print Post

Agreed line looks like 5Meg is possible with a lower target margin

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Mar-11 16:27:24
Print Post

Sales staff are sales staff not technically trained to interpret things or even accept that a computer may be displaying the wrong information sometimes

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to