Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sparks361
(newbie) Sun 06-Mar-11 00:21:07
Print Post

2.4ghz interference

[link to this post]

Hello

I am new to this forum. I thought I had posted this earlier but for some reason it seems my post did not take.

Two days ago I hooked up a little LaCrosse weather station that has a remote outdoor sensor. That sensor operates on 433mhz.

Shortly after getting the weather station operating I began having trouble connecting via Wi-Fi with my laptop and iPod Touch to my 2.4ghz wireless Apple Airport Extreme router.

I determined without a doubt that the loss of Wi-Fi connectivity was due to the weather stations remote sensor interfering with the router.

What I do not understand is how a weather sensor 20 feet away sending a signal out on 433mhz can so totally mess up my Wi-Fi. 2.4ghz is not even a harmonic of 433mhz.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this and most of all may have an explanation of why this is happening.

Thanks for your time!!
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Mar-11 09:50:10
Print Post

Re: 2.4ghz interference

[re: Sparks361] [link to this post]

It may not be the wireless signal from the weather station. It may be the cheap power supply it came with spewing out random EMF. Try it in a different power socket preferably on a different ring to your router and computer.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Mar-11 10:35:13
Print Post

I presume switching off weather station improves things?

Its not unknown for devices to miss state wireless frequencies, i.e. they may have changed the device but left instructions at 433MHz

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Sun 06-Mar-11 20:21:32
Print Post

I would say Gomezz has a fair point, the cheap PSU used may be a problem.

I have a similar weather station here (Oregon Scientific though) with several 433Mhz sensors, and the station itself right next to my router, and it has never caused a problem.
Standard User Sparks361
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 02:57:41
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Thanks to all for your replies.

Both the new weather station and outdoor sensor are battery operated.

I too have another weather station using a 433mhz sensor and I have no problem for it at all. And the two stations do not interfere with one another.

The only thing I can think of is that the sensor on the new weather stations is transmitting some serious strong
spurious frequencies. Really a weird happening.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Mar-11 09:44:38
Print Post

Time to break out the Bacofoil?

(other brands of tin foil are available)

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 07-Mar-11 10:23:56
Print Post

I think I'd be taking that back to the shop.

Not heard of weather stations causing problems like this, so I'd suspect it's faulty, rather than a generic problem with them. People with weather stations do tend to be geeks generally (!) so wireless LANs would be pretty common in their homes.
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Mar-11 18:59:53
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shtu:
.... People with weather stations do tend to be geeks generally (!)...

I would never have suspected that !! tongue tongue tongue

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

ZeN Active 8000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
  Print Thread

Jump to