Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ShaggyRS6
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 09:28:17
Print Post

Help!! 4MB Drop In Speed Over 12 Months

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. I have had an on going problem with BT now for over a year. I wont go into all the gory details as we could be here for some time. Appologies in advance for any spelling - Fat fingers + iPhone

My ISP is Fast.co.uk - Who, I must add, have gone out of there way to help. I do hold the record for the longest open ticket smile So thats something at least!!!

I live about 3/4 Mile from the exchange.

Approx 12 months ago I was a happy customer. My down sync was 7.2MB. being a geek you always strive for a higher download speed, so when LLU bcame avaiable, the "promise" of higher speeds was to much to take, I asked to be put on the service.

For about 2 months my sync speed down levelled off at 8.5MB, my up Sync has remained contant at 1MB.

Over the course of the year the down syn has detiriated. first it went from 8.5 to 6MB. it stayed like this for 2 months or so, it then went to 5MB over the course of a month and it currently at 4MB.

Onthe adivce of the ISP I have changed my router 3 times (currently running a Draytek vigor) I have had numerous engieers out to my house, probably about 15, even senior engineers. I have had the REIN (forgive the spelling) team out twice, the reason behind this is that the line would contatnly reset in the evening around 21:30 - 22:00, having said that it can reset at any time.

BT have tested the line and said it should support up to 12MB. They have changed my profile, they have taken me off of LLU they have tried everything you can possibly think of.

The last message from my ISP was that BT dont think the line has degraded???? And if i continue to push them into looking at the issue they will say the line cant support ADSL and cease it.

So from 8.5MB to 4 in less than a year.

Something that you should be aware of though.

If I was to resart my Router now, it would Sync between 7 - 8MB it wwill stay at 8MB for about a day or until the evening time, the line will then reset on its own a number of times until it gets to 4MB.

After a year I am getting so fed up with it. I cant change to Virgin as they have not run cable to my door and it seems that my Excahnge (rainham Kent) will not get Fibre for some time.

Any help, or pointers would be very much appreciated.

If you need more info just let me know.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 08-Mar-11 09:53:32
Print Post

Re: Help!! 4MB Drop In Speed Over 12 Months

[re: ShaggyRS6] [link to this post]

It might be useful if you can post your full router stats (the triplet of sync rate, attenuation, and SNR margin) for up and down stream.

Which LLU operators do you have available? http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

An advantage of LLU is it shouldn't use BT's profiling system so your speeds should recover as soon as your line does (well as soon as you resync anyhow).

Nothing in your house causing interference at the bad sync times? Sky box, microwave, burglar alarm etc.
Standard User ShaggyRS6
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:05:56
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Sync rate ATM is 4MB precisely

SNR 13

Loop 41

I have had 2 REIN engineeers out to check for interference and nothing found.

AOL: Enabled
O2 / Be: Enabled
C&W / Bulldog: Enabled as of 20/05/2005
Edge Telecom: Not available
Entanet: Not available
Lumison: Not available
NewNet: Not available
Node4: Not available
Orange: Enabled as of 11/01/2008
Pipex: Not available
Sky / Easynet: Enabled as of 23/08/2006
Smallworld: Not available
TalkTalk (CPW): Enabled
Tiscali: Enabled as of 09/08/2008
Tiscali TV: Enabled as of 09/08/2008
WB Internet: Not available
Zen Internet: Not avai

Edited by ShaggyRS6 (Tue 08-Mar-11 10:08:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:09:09
Print Post

You seem to have Sky and O2/Be LLU available. I'd move to one of them.
Standard User ShaggyRS6
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:16:03
Print Post

Fast is actually on LLU as well, they just dont provide data to that website 9thats what they have told me)

They assure me I am on an LLU service and this has been confirmed by BT in the past.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:25:47
Print Post

Fast actually use Be - so how would that help?

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:31:26
Print Post

what other routers have you used ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:35:50
Print Post

4Mbps sync - rare to see a figure like that, i.e. usually reported in Kbps

Attenuation 41dB, and SNR Margin 13dB.

Restart the router, if the SNR margin is 12 or 13, then the slow down looks likely to be nothing to do with the line per se, but rather the ISP or wholesaler increasing your target noise margin from a default of 6dB to 12dB.

With Be Wholesale the ISP has control over this, so you can ask them to adjust the target noise margin. Now if this was raised due to the line being unstable, i.e. constantly resyncing that lowering it would not be a good thing.

I'd say you've been lucky to have not being charged for the engineer visits.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ShaggyRS6
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:36:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

2 Draytek Vigors (Current is 2830), 1 Belkin N1, Netgear (unsure of Model) D-Link (unsure of model)
Standard User ShaggyRS6
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:38:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Will try this when I get home - My son (AKA Slave) has now gone to school smile and I'm at work.

And thanks for the help so far smile

Edited by ShaggyRS6 (Tue 08-Mar-11 10:39:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to