Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Masterdog
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:02:55
Print Post

Speed up and down

[link to this post]

Hi all! Over the past couple of days my ADSL connection (provided by Vispa) has been very up and down. Most of the time it's very slow - speeds in the 56k modem range, however there are periods where it'll be somewhere near normal. This graph, which I've nerdily produced, shows ping times to Google - as you can see, the ups and downs are very regular (the spikes are timeouts).

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8898/pingjk.jpg

I've been on to Vispa who state there's nothing wrong with the line and that my stats seem fine. (They don't traffic shape or ought, and anyway I've used way more in previous months than I have this month and I'm nowhere near my limit). I've tried the engineer's socket and replacing the filter, none of which has made anything any happier.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I've not had an internet connnection behave like this before. It's the same on all the computers and mobile devices in the house. The next step is to get a BT engineer out but that'll cost me if they don't find anything wrong at the exchange, so I want to rule out any other potential problems.

Thanks for any help!

MD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:16:22
Print Post

Re: Speed up and down

[re: Masterdog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Masterdog:
my stats seem fine.
Which are what?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:24:42
Print Post

If you graph is accurate, that's a very orderly series of drops.... could it be electrical noise causing this ?

"The next step is to get a BT engineer out but that'll cost me if they don't find anything wrong at the exchange, so I want to rule out any other potential problems."

Your CP is being 'economical with the truth'. It's not just exchange cased faults that waiver the charge. Line faults also come as a freebie. In fact, it's only at the CP's discretion if they pass charges on to you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Masterdog
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:25:29
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, meant the line speed which they've said is connected at 7616 with a throughput profile of 6500. Not sure how to read the stats at my end, which are...
Attn: 16 up, 14 down
Noise margin (which I assume is SnR?): 26 up, 10 down
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:30:40
Print Post

Sorry, meant the line speed which they've said is connected at 7616 with a throughput profile of 6500. Not sure how to read the stats at my end, which are...
Attn: 16 up, 14 down
Noise margin (which I assume is SnR?): 26 up, 10 down
They don't look right. Have you swapped the Attn and the SNR numbers?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:34:20
Print Post

Sorry, meant the line speed which they've said is connected at 7616 with a throughput profile of 6500
But what does your router actually say?
Not sure how to read the stats at my end
Then why not just copy & paste them? Then you won't need to interpret them yourself.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Masterdog
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 08:50:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

My router said the same thing, although since I've connected to the engineer socket it's gone up to 8124, or something (I'm at work now and can't check it). The stats I posted were just a copy of those given by the router, but it's a not-great Belkin jobby so might not be giving me all the info I need. I'll try to post the full page later on.
Standard User Masterdog
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 08:51:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If you graph is accurate, that's a very orderly series of drops.... could it be electrical noise causing this ?

What kind of thing would cause the electrical noise? There's been no changes in the house recently, certainly nothing near the router. Or could it be something along the line?
Standard User colesy10
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 09:23:10
Print Post

If the connection remains at that sync connected to the test socket, then it's something in the house, possibly the extension wiring or filter which could be the cause. Seeing as you already replaced the filter, can you give a description of how many extensions you have please?

Edited by colesy10 (Wed 23-Mar-11 09:26:08)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 23-Mar-11 10:07:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

What kind of thing would cause the electrical noise? There's been no changes in the house recently, certainly nothing near the router. Or could it be something along the line?

7 minutes at a time, every 30 minutes. Is that pattern repeated 24/7, only in the evenings, only on weekdays, etc., etc.?

Heating system springs to mind.

It might be worth an evening of switching off (at the wall) everything electrical you possibly can - heating, lighting, the lot - and see if the pattern continues.

After that, I'd follow the route of the cable and see if you can see anything nearby that could be generating a lot of electrical noise.

Externally, you anywhere near trains, level crossings, pumping stations? Any factories (especially fabricators - all that welding is noisy)?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to