Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shutz
(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-11 16:49:28
Print Post

Hardware from Master socket to router

[link to this post]

Hi People.

Just a quickie for a simple guy. My BT BB HUb keeps losing connection, for between 30 mins and 600 mins each day or two. BT have called twice and are telling me their responsibilty (to the master socket) is all ok and reporting no errors.

Bearing in mind my existing set up has been ok for the last 3 years!! I get very sceptical when the guy tells me its the hub, and the splitter I'm using isn't very good (maplins £4.99) and also the standard 5m telephone cable used for the extension is not compatible with BB.

Before I kick BT into touch and buy a new router and use someone else to provide Broadband i just wanted to know how much of an impact these things would have. I can't believe that cable provided for telephone extensions and splitters could cause any deteriorating of the signal, bearing in mind the exchange is within 1mile.

Comment please.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 16:55:09
Print Post

Re: Hardware from Master socket to router

[re: shutz] [link to this post]

Is there a test socket within your BT master socket (modernish types only)? If you also have problems when plugged in there it is BT's fault.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 16:56:55
Print Post

Pointless speculating, just plug it into the master test socket using the cable that came with the HH and see if it's ok for a few days.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shutz
(newbie) Thu 24-Mar-11 17:23:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I've had it running in the master test socket for the last 3 months, When it goes down I've plugged the hub directly into the test socket. It didn't work!! All I'm saying is will the cable make any difference?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 17:39:08
Print Post

The cable could do, especially if it's aluminium. If it's CW1308 it should be fine.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to